Gold Hare Scrambler Questions

Started by Paul Danik, January 04, 2009, 05:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Paul,

Seems like most all if not all of the first two batches had MX tanks because almost everyone of them we sold were off-road guys buying them and we had to order bigger tanks as this was West Texas and the majority of our guys rode the McElroy Ranch and it was huge.  There was a 100 mile loop you could do that came out close to the road at about 50 miles and guys would stash gas there to be able to do the whole loop.  Off track but memories.  We had a slew of yellow MX tanks on the shelf from deals where we had to trade the big tank to sell the bike.  When I bought my first 400 Penton it had the Watermelon tank and I put one of those yellow tanks on it to race motocross.  That was the story out in West Texas on the tanks from my memory.  If you want to hear sad.  To clean things out once Mr. Golden had me throw away some of those tanks and a slew of aluminum fenders that were I will buy it if you put Petty fenders on it deals.  All brand new gathering dust into the trash cans.  If we only knew what they would have been worth today.  We threw away some CEV tail lights and ZKW headlights that day too.  Never thought twice about it as it was the things no one wanted and space was needed.  Hindsight.

Larry P

Paul Danik

Thanks for the information, as far as hindsight, they say it is 20 20, but I sometimes think mine still needs glasses :D

Al Born refers to me as " The Junk Man " because I pick up about any old Penton tidbit I can find, maybe being a junk man isn't all that bad...depending on what is thrown out.

The " Junk Man" deal started when John Penton, Al and myself traveled to VMD west back in 2000 when JP was Grand Marshall and Penton was featured marque. I scoured the swapmeet for Penton "stuff" and had a pretty fair amount of stuff which I stashed in the back of JP's Dodge pickup with a cap on it.  The stuff was just sort of spread out inside the bed as I needed to get some boxes from the concession stand to pack it in, but they wouldn't give me any boxes till after their noon rush. I was by the truck when JP opened the door on the cap to get something, he took one look inside an asked in a rather stern voice who's "stuff" this was...but not in those exact words :)
   Later we had a good laugh when I mentioned how he had spent half his life selling this Penton stuff all over the country and now we had him hauling it back to Amherst....it was a once in a lifetime trip that I will never forget.

Paul

Larry Perkins

Priceless story Paul.  The little bit I get to see John I still think he has a shake his head I don't quite get it but I am honored attitude.

Larry P

BobJones

I have a yellow tank basket case.Except for fenders & pipe it looks to be original.It has the mx tank & rh fiberglass pipe cover.Serial #54-30766817.The head & cylinder are both silver & the engine is black.Engine serial #3-5400319.Build clock on both cases 3/73.Hope this helps.By the way V1056 is finished & running I will post pictures when it warms up.Bob

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.