Carolinas White Lightning Cross County Classic

Started by BlueRidgePathfinder, May 27, 2010, 07:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueRidgePathfinder

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:14:54 -0500 "Mike L. Berrington" <[email protected]> writes:

Questions on the event next weekend ... is this event vintage only or is there modern bike classes also?   I have not run any AHRMA events yet.  I have a 77 Penton GS6 that have planned to run,  but time seems to always get away from me.  My son and I also run modern KTM's in the VCHSS and VXCS event in VA.  I  ran national enduros back in the 70's but we currently run C class.

What is your recommendation on classes for the old bike and if the modern bike are eligible.   I am not sure if we can make it yet,  I just got home from a week in Ireland on business and will be in Mooresville on business until Thursday.  I am not sure the bike swill be ready.

THANKS for the advice and information.

Mike Berrington

Hi Mike,

Your '77 Penton GS6 should be placed into the Historic Class of appropriate engine displacement, keeping in mind that 1977 models must meet the Historic class suspension limits. (1978 Penton/KTM is not a like-design model. See GP classes.)

There are no provisions for racing modern bike at AHRMA National Cross Country events.

HOWEVER, only one third of Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park will be used for the vintage events. The other two thirds, about 45 miles of a variety of trails will be open to those attending our event and the general public.

http://www.bmmspark.com/photos.html

And the normal daily fee has been reduced, too.  

There is a Youth Trail, for 125cc and smaller bikes, which is one of my FAVORITE trails in the park.

Park owner Richard Mull is most accommodating, but, due to legal and liability issues, is adamant about having all of Ts crossed and I's dotted when it comes to minors.  Please go to the following link and follow the instructions carefully.

http://www.bmmspark.com/Minor-Child-Release-Form-2007.pdf

Weather for the weekend is shaping up nicely, albeit hot; so I hope you and your son are able to join us for some fun.

Happy trails,

Al "Lumberjack" Roof

BlueRidgePathfinder

Howdy folks!

Just got off of the phone with Greg Holder, and he and I wanted to let you know where you'll find us for breakfast at the crack of dawn during our Carolinas White Lightning Cross Country Classic race weekend at Brushy Mountain Motor Sports Park..............................................................

Starlite Café
3490 NC Highway 16 South
Taylorsville, NC 28681
(828) 632-8469

Although the food concession at Brushy Mountain Motor Sports Park is great, they are not open for breakfast, so Greg and I will be getting up with the Roosters to drive the ten miles or so for a good home cooked meal at the Starlite Café.

As an added enticement, I will tell you that my good friend and fellow Blue Ridge Pathfinder, Mike Rhinehart, calls this quaint little restaurant "Hooters of Taylorsville."  Enough said, I'll let your imagination fill in the between the lines.

We do hope you all are making plans to attend the Second Annual Carolina White Lightning Cross Country Classic.

http://ahrma.org/Z-2010/Forms/2010_CC_White_Lightning%20.pdf

Y'all come!

Al Roof

BlueRidgePathfinder

Howdy folks,

The weather is shaping up to be excellent for a fun weekend of vintage and post vintage racing at the Second Annual Carolinas Cross Country Classic, round ten and eleven of the AHRMA/Penton Owners Group National Cross Country Championship Series.

http://ahrma.org/Z-2010/Forms/2010_CC_White_Lightning%20.pdf

Friday
High  88° F
Low 69° F
Chance of precipitation 40%
Scattered thunderstorms possible.
Highs in the upper 89s and lows in the upper 60s

Saturday
High  91° F
Low 72° F
Chance of precipitation 30%
Partly cloudy with a stray thunderstorm.
Highs in the low 90s and lows in the low 70s.

Sunday
High 92° F
Low 73° F
Chance of precipitation 30%
Isolated thunderstorms.
Highs in the low 90s and lows in the low 70s.

Y'all come!

Al Roof

Dwight Rudder

WOW, what a great event.  If you weren't there you missed a great ride.  Hope they have the event there next year too. Great campground too.
Dwight

BlueRidgePathfinder

Thanks Dwight!

I am glad you had a good time.  It surely was a pleasure to watch you ride.

Al Roof

BlueRidgePathfinder

Be sure and check out Tony Powers' photos from our event at:

//www.rsp.exposuremanager.com

Happy trails,

Al Roof

BlueRidgePathfinder

Folks,

I am in the process of writing an article about our Second Annual Carolinas White Lightning Cross Country Classic for my Blue Ridge Pathfinder newsletter, and for submission to Trail Rider magazine, Moto Retro, and VMX.

If you have experiences, observations, or comments you would like to see included in this article, please write them up and e-mail them to me at:  [email protected]

Thanks,

Al Roof