Bike Lifts (for working on bikes...)

Started by tooclose racing, June 02, 2013, 11:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Quotequote:Originally posted by wfopete

I have the the same HF 1000# lift.  

First thing I did was pitch the wheel chock and installed this chock which I bought at the same time as the lift:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

Then I drilled several holes in the platform for tie down points.

The reviews posted at HF had several people doing the same mod you did using one of the wheel chock products also available at their store.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback/thoughts.  I'm pretty close to buying the ticket...

Big Mac

Bob, I've been plagued with the lower back issue for years, and racing with short suspension on a rough track the day after bending and squatting during bike prep was the worst. Had a few spasm episodes come Monday that had me flat on my back.

I went to Chi-Jer's solution 8 years ago http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-ATV-Hydraulic-Scissor-Lift-Floor-Jack-Center-Stand-AMA-Racing-Shop-/281052554226?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item417009a3f2&vxp=mtr#ht_456wt_904
...and I added a short tool tray to the front, and drilled/tapped the legs and added the roller wheels I scrounged off a cheapo work stool. I can pump the bike up to the ideal height to work on most everything w/o stooping, set a stand under the rear wheel and drop down to the right height to make shock/wheel/swingarm removal easiest. Plus I can roll the bike around the shop while still up on the stand to get it out of the way, and its small and out of the way when not in use. A bit shaky when up at highest point but with pegs clamped in, have never had an issue, even with my heavy LC4 dualsport on it.

The back likes it much better, best tool in my shop and price is right.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

SouthRider

I have the unit like Jerry's and absolutely love it.

You can walk completely around the bike without obstruction.

The height range is great - jack it way up to work on the engine, or go to moderate heights for other work.

I use the footpeg cleats to hold the bike down - they work just fine, and keep the bike stable when removing wheels.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

3putt

I bought the HF #1000 table lift 7 years ago for just over $200 at that time.  I looked seriously at the smaller lifts because of the compact floor size, but went with the table unit because I can use it for many other applications.   I use it for working on Mowers and Snow Throwers when they need service, as well as many other uses I've found for it to get the work at my level.   I keep an old auto platform jack on it as well for many uses.   It has been a big help and paid for itself several times over.    Nelson McCullough

tomale

Several years ago, I built a platform big enough to put a bike on. It is 2'x 8' and 20" tall. Up to now it has worked fine. Recently I bought a street bike and although I am sure it is strong enough to hold the bike, getting a bike that weighs twice as much as my dirt bikes will not be an easy task. So a bike lift seems like a good idea. I am glad to hear the. Harbor freight version will work pretty well, but I wonder if spending a few more bucks would be worth the expense.  Time to save the pennies and nickels.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki
Honda TL 125
2004 Suzuki DL1000

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

johnacapp

To all,
After reading this e-mail on bike lifts was wondering I have a smaller more compact lift that I have for sale. It works fine but I just don't have a need for it.  I'm offering a Penton owners discount, and I can deliver to Vintage days,  E-mail me if interested for price and details.

See attached  
http://www.completehydraulic.com/lifts-motorcycle-jmml450.html
John Capp

thrownchain

I've got one of the small lifts, when I first got it I didnt use it much, but now it's my primary go-to lift. You can readily break a whole bike down to the frame on this lift.

454MRW

I've had several and currently own 2 of them. They are handy and don't take up much room, even with a bike on them. The problem is, I usually have a bike on them and might be interested in another at Mid-Ohio if you still have it. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R