Bike Lifts (for working on bikes...)

Started by tooclose racing, June 02, 2013, 11:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Gentlemen:  my wife - of all people - has brought me the Harbor Freight insert/mailer and pointed out that the following lift is on sale AND she has a 20% coupon:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html

Her motives are fairly pure.  [}:)] She knows that my lower back has not been cooperating recently and she's trying to help.  Even sitting in my little roller chair like I usually do is painful.  Do/Have any of you used this product before (or something similar? The local is actually stocking this beast and the reviews are pretty good, with some recommending you mount up a wheel chock on the front.  There is another style of lift (aluminum) listed also which is closer to a bike stand approach (lifts bike ~ 19 inches):

http://www.harborfreight.com/lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-94715.html

Thanks for feedback,

Bob "Ohh...that hurts"  Close

thrownchain

A friend of mine owns the 1000 lb unit, and really likes it, does all kinds of work to all kinds of bikes. A better front wheel holding unit is a plus. It's not a bad unit for the price.

johnborn

I had a craftsman unit similar to the "jack-up" style shown.In my opinion did not work very well with my KTM. Too much ground clearance on the bike, the jack only lifted it a couple inches. I mounted an old aluminum stand to the top and it lifted it up to a comfortable work height, but I had to use tie-downs to balance the bike which made removing either wheel a pain.

Gary Roach

I have the 1000 lb unit, and I love it! I used the wheel chock that came with the unit, but I stacked washers under the chock to raise it up a bit, but have not had any issues (or fallen bikes!). The floor has holes to put your tie downs in, but I used eyelet bolts instead.

I also use one of these scissor jacks along with my lift so that if I want to remove one of the wheels, all I have to do is slide it under the frame, and then I can raise the bike up with no problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Lift-Scissor-Jack-1000-lbs-Fits-Harley-Honda-Suzuki-Kawasaki-Yamaha-/300669591700?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46014de094&vxp=mtr#ht_2585wt_681

Eric Lewin

I had the Harbor Freight unit and it worked ok. My friend has the real deal(pneumatic type) and it's a lot sturdier. I paid $299 for mine but steel is more expensive now. The front wheel clamp is not that great but I would have my bike on a regular lift stand and used tie downs to secure it. I could then pull the front or rear end off without a problem. One bit of advice if you do buy it is to replace the zerk fittings right away. I had a new grease gun and squeezed in the grease and when I tried to pull the gun off, they broke(3 of them).
I got rid of mine because I have a tiny garage and was constantly tripping over it, but it did what it was supposed to do when I needed it. 3 stars out of 5.

Gordon Brennan

If you are patient you can still find it for $299.00. I have a couple flyers and magazine tear-outs with it at $299.00.
I have the same one and use it all the time. You can always make anything better, but that stand is a great place to start.

OUCWBOY

I have the real deal, not the one made in China. I know mine cost almost $600.00, but it has lasted me over 11 years with zero maintenance. It came with i-bolts for the tie downs and I did no modifications at all and works perfect. Sure beats hanging a bike from the overhead with tie down straps.  Well worth the investment, IMO.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dale Sonnenschein

I have a ramp from back in the day. It's a steel H beam. When I'm working on a bike the motor is about stomach high off the ground.The bike is tied with tie downs just like hauling your bike.  Nice and easy for working on bikes. The only negative is you can't work on the front end since it's tied down. Then I use a wood stand. When I'm not using it I slide it off to the side of the garage. The best part is it was free.

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
75 Penton 250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

chicagojerry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-ATV-Hydraulic-Scissor-Lift-Floor-Jack-Center-Stand-AMA-Racing-Shop-/281052554226?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item417009a3f2&vxp=mtr#ht_456wt_904
  i have one almost identical to this, the only exception is mine has a foot release pedal instead of a release knob.  i love mine and i use it everyday. i have had it over three years and never any problem other than the protective rubber mat on the top surface came off.   for me,  the other type of lift similar to a wide floor jack was more headaches than what it was worth.    just my take, chi jer

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Jerry;  If you can, post a picture of a bike up on that lift. It does look intersting, and doesn't take up much floor space. Do the hooks on the side attach to the footpegs? The only problem I see with this device is on some vintage bikes that don't have flat bottoms, like late 70's and early 80's Huskies with that tube that runs under the frame. Might have to consider this one.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

chicagojerry

i never use the hooks. pretty stable. obviously won't work with a down pipe but that can be handles with wooden frame work.  i will try to post pix later.     chi jer

p3mn256

i've got the kendon sport/dirt bike lift willing to part with if interested  email to [email protected] can send picture.
 http://www.kendonusa.com/motolift.html
i;m in columbus ohio area

steve

steve barber
steve barber

wfopete

I have the the same HF 1000# lift.  

First thing I did was pitch the wheel chock and installed this chock which I bought at the same time as the lift:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

Then I drilled several holes in the platform for tie down points.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

chicagojerry

hey steve. you win. thats the nicest lift i have seen. how much are they?   chi jer

p3mn256

just sold it to a guy in tulsa.  i paid about $900 a few years ago
its a little different from whats on the web site. as it has a bike lift that raises bike and wheels off stand.  pic on the way to you

steve barber
steve barber