Air cleaner Oil

Started by skiracer, April 04, 2017, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

I have a bunch from when I had my shop and it is the red.  Did not realize there was something new.  How is the new stuff?  If I use a good amount of the no toil powdered cleaner it gets the grease out.  I don't put in on too thick.

Larry P

derek martin

List of my preferreds:
Bel Ray for filter and fork oil (recently returned to using),
BelRay waterproof grease for filter seal and chassis lube points,
Honda HP trans oil (CR trans oil) for two strokes.
Amsoil Dominator for premix.
I first soak dirty filters in water with dawn dishwashing soap overnight which gets most of the dirt out then finish cleaning with mineral spirits to get old oil and remaing seal grease out. Blow out the filter with air, put some filter oil in a one gallon ziplock bag, add filter, seal bag then work the bag to saturate the filter with the oil. This method saves oil and keeps hands cleaner.

skiracer

Good idea, thanks!  

Quotequote:Originally posted by derek martin

List of my preferreds:
Bel Ray for filter and fork oil (recently returned to using),
BelRay waterproof grease for filter seal and chassis lube points,
Honda HP trans oil (CR trans oil) for two strokes.
Amsoil Dominator for premix.
I first soak dirty filters in water with dawn dishwashing soap overnight which gets most of the dirt out then finish cleaning with mineral spirits to get old oil and remaing seal grease out. Blow out the filter with air, put some filter oil in a one gallon ziplock bag, add filter, seal bag then work the bag to saturate the filter with the oil. This method saves oil and keeps hands cleaner.

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

Yes, the new green labels does not contain any alcohol, so it takes longer to dry (over night is best)They claim the alcohol dissolves the glue of the filter joints.  I haven't had any problems....  I have not used it as of this writing. I still have a large bottle of the red type.

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

I have a bunch from when I had my shop and it is the red.  Did not realize there was something new.  How is the new stuff?  If I use a good amount of the no toil powdered cleaner it gets the grease out.  I don't put in on too thick.

Larry P

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa