Future ride?

Started by Rick Bennett, February 09, 2020, 02:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbowman

Rick,

Hello from Memphis, TN. I have ridden the eastern parts of the TAT (through Arkansas) several times. I have ridden most of the Colorado section. It is a lot of fun. I know Sam Correro. He's a great guy. I have stayed at the TAT Shak (Pete Petrick's Place) a couple of times.

For what it's worth, here's my advice.

Bike selection: Ride the Penton! I've ridden down Black Bear Pass outside of Telluride on a BMW R1200GSA. I barely made it out alive. Only dropped the bike once. I've ridden the same trail on a KTM 350 EXC-F. I had a blast an enjoyed every minute of the ride. Small bikes are a lot more fun. I am part of a riding group in Memphis (Wolf River Riders). We do backcountry discovery routes each year. We're doing the Utah BDR this year. I'm leaving the R1200GSA at home. If you pack lightly like you're backpacking, you can take a dual-sport bike an have fun while the big bikes are struggling.

TAT Shak: If at all possible, plan on staying there. Pete is a great guy. The TAT Shak is literally on the TAT. There are very few places to stay in that area. We always leave a donation to help Pete cover the expense of offering the TAT Shak for riders.

Mississippi Delta: If it is raining (or has rained for the past few days), the Mississippi Delta can be absolutely treacherous. Flat muddy roads for a full day. Bigger bikes can really struggle.

Memphis: If you happen to come through Memphis or need anything while you're near Memphis (the TAT goes through Mississippi about an hour and a half below Memphis), give me a call. I can show you the really good BBQ places. I would be happy to provide support or shelter if you get stuck or broken down.

I've left my driveway and ridden to all lower 48 states and Canada on the R1200GSA. I know what it means to be in the middle of nowhere with no support. Don't hesitate to call. I've rescued more than one buddy on the trail.

John Bowman
(Nine Zero One) 483-1039

LynnCamp

We are on the TAT in Salida, Co.  Soooooo if you do arrive here -- you have hundreds and hundreds of the best trails in the U.S. of A. However, one word of warning, come here and you may have to move here.  We have many, many riders who base here - or have a second home here (including Malcolm). Let me know if you plan on coming this far .. and I will try to help.
happy trails,
Lynn Camp
719-221-8883