Future ride?

Started by Rick Bennett, February 09, 2020, 02:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bennett

Are there any POG members that live near the Trans America Trail? If so, where?
Thinking about a 2021 trip.

wfopete

I live right on the TAT in Arkansas.  In fact I am the proprietor of the TAT Shak.  http://www.tat-shak.com/

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

JamesHorwatt

Good Morning Rick, I've been kicking around riding parts of the TAT. As you may or may not know, my younger brother passed away in 2016 from ALS and I've been thinking of doing a ride/fundraiser for ALS while riding the TAT. My issue is I cannot be away from a month or so. I haven't really figured that part out yet. Lets talk soon....

Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100
Secretary Penton Owners Group.
Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100
Secretary Penton Owners Group.

Pat Oshaughnessy

Rick my youngest Son has done the T.A. T. through Colorado & he says its the best! I hope you can get that far west:)

Rick Bennett

I am looking on going coast to coast next July or August. Looking at modern bikes for this one. It will take a month at least to make the ride and get home.

wfopete

A 650 or smaller bike is a wise mount for the TAT. Step through Honda's have made the journey and so have 1200+cc bikes. Depending on how you travel/pack you can easily add 100-250 lbs to the weight of the bike and that weight adds up after a while.

Once you hit Colorado and beyond; less is more.  Your mileage may vary.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Pat Oshaughnessy

Rick my Son is thinking about a Yamaha 700 tenere. If he gets one I will give You the good & bad. My pal has a new 790 KTM & he loves it. Both are very experienced & very good riders.Please keep us informed of your plan. If I can help out when you get near Commiefornia I would be Happy To. Happy Trails![^]

Pat Oshaughnessy

Rick I was reminded that I was the support vehicle for my Son on the T. A. T. thru Oregan & No. Calif. Good times ! He has more experiance with Adv. touring than anyone I know. When you want he said he can pass on things he learnded the hard way. He is envious of your plan.[:p]

Rick Bennett

I am sorry...I just can't do it. I really did try.
After looking at modern dual sport bikes, sitting on them and even showing up at dealerships with cash in my pocket, it is not for me.
I will ride my trusty Six Days on the TAT next year, 5200 miles, coast to coast. I just can't get excited about modern motorcycles. None of them have the class or history of my Penton. I have to ride what I like and enjoy.
Mileage for this trip will most likely be around 10,000, after riding to the start and home after the finish.
I have over a year to work out the details and rehab the Six Days. Lessons learned on the Vintage 1000 rides have convinced me this is a good choice.

Daniel P. McEntee

Rick, you ARE the man! To quote the line from "Then Came Bronson," Man, I wish I was you! I will be watching and reading everything you write about this.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

wfopete

Rick, if you need a place for a logistical resupply point (tires, fluids, parts) keep me in mind. In the past I've had TAT riders ship parts to me to have them on hand when they arrive.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Pat Oshaughnessy

Rick you know what you want to do !  You have already proved you can do it ! Wether you start or finish out West you will get as much help as the P.O. G members can give. I will be happy to help out if I can. Lots of us wish we could go with you. Fun times ahead![8D]

johnbowman

Rick,

Hello from Memphis, TN. I have ridden the eastern parts of the TAT (through Arkansas) several times. I have ridden most of the Colorado section. It is a lot of fun. I know Sam Correro. He's a great guy. I have stayed at the TAT Shak (Pete Petrick's Place) a couple of times.

For what it's worth, here's my advice.

Bike selection: Ride the Penton! I've ridden down Black Bear Pass outside of Telluride on a BMW R1200GSA. I barely made it out alive. Only dropped the bike once. I've ridden the same trail on a KTM 350 EXC-F. I had a blast an enjoyed every minute of the ride. Small bikes are a lot more fun. I am part of a riding group in Memphis (Wolf River Riders). We do backcountry discovery routes each year. We're doing the Utah BDR this year. I'm leaving the R1200GSA at home. If you pack lightly like you're backpacking, you can take a dual-sport bike an have fun while the big bikes are struggling.

TAT Shak: If at all possible, plan on staying there. Pete is a great guy. The TAT Shak is literally on the TAT. There are very few places to stay in that area. We always leave a donation to help Pete cover the expense of offering the TAT Shak for riders.

Mississippi Delta: If it is raining (or has rained for the past few days), the Mississippi Delta can be absolutely treacherous. Flat muddy roads for a full day. Bigger bikes can really struggle.

Memphis: If you happen to come through Memphis or need anything while you're near Memphis (the TAT goes through Mississippi about an hour and a half below Memphis), give me a call. I can show you the really good BBQ places. I would be happy to provide support or shelter if you get stuck or broken down.

I've left my driveway and ridden to all lower 48 states and Canada on the R1200GSA. I know what it means to be in the middle of nowhere with no support. Don't hesitate to call. I've rescued more than one buddy on the trail.

John Bowman
(Nine Zero One) 483-1039

LynnCamp

We are on the TAT in Salida, Co.  Soooooo if you do arrive here -- you have hundreds and hundreds of the best trails in the U.S. of A. However, one word of warning, come here and you may have to move here.  We have many, many riders who base here - or have a second home here (including Malcolm). Let me know if you plan on coming this far .. and I will try to help.
happy trails,
Lynn Camp
719-221-8883

Pat Oshaughnessy

Rick you know what you want to do !  You have already proved you can do it ! Wether you start or finish out West you will get as much help as the P.O. G members can give. I will be happy to help out if I can. Lots of us wish we could go with you. Fun times ahead![8D]