New MX track at Mid-Ohio

Started by Gary Roach, June 25, 2006, 12:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

I faxed in my sign-up today, Friday the 7th, at 2:30PM. 250 Sportsman No-Vice. I plan on starting training tomorrow, lifting several 12oz. weights for starters;) Seriously, some training is in order. One of my worst problems is forearm pump. I don't have much problem on my modern bike, but my Penton seems to turn my right arm to putty. I remember the old broomstick with a weight on a rope trick, anybody got anything better? I'm going to try to ride the old bike more for practice. Mid-ohio is such fun, this year I will finally race there. I'm pumped already. Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Mick Milakovic

Sooooooooooooooo, what did everybody think of the track?

Mick

tlanders

Dwight Rudder

Most of the comments I heard were that they still prefered the old Grass track. I would have too. Jim Pomeroy commented that without the grass all the rocks had come up to the surface and that he would have not liked to have fallen on them.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

socalmx

I liked the track and the rocks did not bother me. The only issue I had was that I rode it too darn slow.

pketchum

I can understand Jimmy and Dwight Rudders opinions having raced both tracks.  The new track is much more interesting as I compared the old track to a golf course which had no more than 5' of elevation change throughout.  The new course, while not truly vintage because its groomed DID have some area's which were very high speed and thus became hard packed.  I did think to myself while racing that I hope I don't crash because it will be like falling on ashphalt.  Overall I liked it because it had diversity and good berms, some small jumps some off-camber turns, and some high speed sections.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

socalmx

A friend of mine did crash his '69 Pursang while dropping down into the sharp right hand turn coming off the plateau after the long straightaway. He went over the bars, did some flying, pancake landing, and the bike ended on top of him. End result is cracked his chest protector, chewed up his elbow pads (rear tire of bike did that) and broke off visor on his helmet from face plant. Luckly the only injury he substained was a twisted ankle. I guess you could say the ground was hard packed and extremely unforgiving.