new 100 cc Class

Started by Lew Mayer, December 05, 2007, 05:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Jones

Were the first YZ 100s five or six speads? I drooled over them so bad at the dealer back then with that down pipe and green tank [:p]

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

checkcrew

Dennis, you are talking about the green Yamaha LT2MX from 72 and 73, it was a 5 speed with a reed valve, also lets not forget the Kawasaki G31M and the HD Baja 100, got to luv the 100's !!!

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ. - 70 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72 x 2, 73 x 2, 125-6 Day's, 73 Jackpiner, 75 - 250 H/S, 74 1/2 Mint 400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dennis Jones

Were the first YZ 100s five or six speads? I drooled over them so bad at the dealer back then with that down pipe and green tank [:p]

Dennis Jones

The YZ100 didn't come out till 1975 and it was a 6 speed monoshock.  Historic class. The bike you are discribing is the LT2MX ( 1972 reed valve , 5 speed)
The 5 speed Yamaha LT2MX or the LT3MX and the MX100 were legal.
Dwight

Dennis Jones

Thanks for correcting me guys. It is the MX model I lusted after. I can't say that I have saw any for sale in recent years.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

[email protected]

Guys there has been some very good communication going on about this class with some of the Ahrma guys. This may take a couple more days to shake out but hopefully by Friday there will be information available to answer everyone's questions. The Ahrma guy's are all working extremely hard on a variety of issues. I personally think everything will work out fine. Although as all of you know you will never be able to please everyone. I for one look forward to seeing a bunch of 100cc bikes at the races.:)
Thanks
Paul

rob w

Can you name thee most  accomplished, renowned, and legendary (American) 100cc rider/racer ever ?

If you answered Dane Leimbach - then you'd be right.  :D

Ernie Phillips

You mean, Dane "the Bud Ekins Pioneer Award" Leimbach!  I knew that!

With all the new 100cc class buzz, I'd like to hear from Dane, Billy U, Ron C, Larry ... Doug, on what unique qualities it takes to be successful in the 100 class.  And, how much did they weight back then? :D

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Larry Perkins

Rob,

Hear hear!  I agree!  Did anyone win more Gold Medals at Qualifiers and ISDT than Dane on a 100?  I doubt it.  Some of the hills he had to climb with the little 100 had to be a trick.  I and many others will always marvel at his 100cc feats.

Ernie,

In MX back in "The Day" 100cc success came through this formula-High horsepower over a narrow powerband usually accomplished with porting, head milling, big carb, pipe, crank stuffing, and small flywheel or total loss ignition.  You had to combine this package with fancy clutch work to keep in the narrow meat of power, light rider weight, and talent.  However, in my case you could obviously substitute heart, luck, and being a good start cheater for talent.[8D]  As far as weight back then I weighed 145 pounds soaking wet.  I am sure in the woods the formula was quite different but I did not find the woods till I was about 26.

On a side note on weight a couple of years ago I saw Our own Mike Lenz battle former great Mike Bell on 100's here in Missouri.  Mike Lenz is a little over 200 pounds:D and he gave Bell all he could handle.  So talent can also over ride weight.  Pounds is generally ponies in small bikes, though.  Hope my opinion helps a little.  I am far from an expert.  I just rode them and watched them be built.  That is where the tricks were learned.

Larry P

tmc3c

Greg Holder 100cc Combs Ark. 2006

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dwight Rudder

I always loved riding 100s back then.  I even overalled a ISDT qualifier style event in 1980 over near Shreveport LA on a Suzuki RM100.
I liked riding 100s better than 125s.  I won many H/S in the 100 class on my Hodaka Ace 100B+ . Not even a Super Rat. but a 10hp Ace. I had a blast on my K100GS Hercules at the last ISDTR.  Too bad it is a 6 speed. I love play riding on my Kawasaki 100 even.
100s are just plain fun.
Dwight

PS: Back in the early 70s my heros were Dane L, Billy U, and Paul D. Later when I started riding the Nat'ls and ISDT Qualifiers, I was amazed on how fast my friend, Dane's brother, Teddy was on a Penton 100.

dkwkid

IMO the very best offroad racers on the WORLD started out on 100cc bikes. When do don't have power you must substitute skill. I remember reading about the ISDT or maybe a qualifier where Dane slid all the way down a hill still holding on to the handlebars keeping the engine running and remounting to climb it again. now that's skill!