Historic class MX: Penton vs Maico

Started by sachsmx, March 11, 2008, 08:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

Hey, One of our esteemed members can help on the plating question. We had some parts done locally for a very rare car that Ryan Newman owns no less and they were sent back for poor quality so I have no recomendations. Polishing can be done at home if you have some time and a few items to help the process. If your wheels are like my 78 they are painted..maybe powdercoat but I dont think so. Other aluminum Items can be sanded with a fine grit sandpaper then use a good alum. polish. Paint work I can help ya on. When we hear about a capable plating co. it will get posted or do a search as this has been discussed a few times I am sure. Was this 420 for sale last fall? Someone close to us had one listed on Ebay but I dont think it sold. Thats probly when we spoke before?? Easy homey,TTP

jon

I think that was mine Paul, I had a 1979 420mx and a 1984 420exc. I sold them both in a package deal, way to cheap-$3000

sachsmx

No, wasn't mine. I did offer mine for sale a few years back but I decided not to sell. I had too much invested in NOS parts to give it away. Now I finally have a little time to work on it.
I know of a good powdercoating shop in Greenville, NC. They did my frame and other misc parts. My wheels are going to match the frame. Stock pipe will be chromed and a lot of little parts will be chromed or polished. The chain is even a chrome o-ring item.[8D]
I am doing this bike like many of the guys are doing with their Maico 490s, personalizing them.
I have done the full blown all original restorations in the past but now I find that a little boring[xx(]

paul

Yep, I am going through that right now on 2 different bikes. My 74 250 is going to look more like a 175 and the HD 250 is going to be more of a factory replica. Its nice seeing stock bikes in pristine condition but trick bikes are neat also. Big Ups to the guy that modified the Sachs 125 with the "porcupine head" and custom everything. I cant wait to see the bike when its done.
 That 420 is about rare as hens teeth. You see Maicos everywhere but its not very often you here about those eary KTM's. My 250 is about to hit the block but its been a struggle even considering letting her go. When they were new I could not even consider buying one. Marzoochi, Bilstein, these MC5's are just all that. No doubt JP's best effort and its sure shows. I was messing with mine last night. After sitting for months with no gas, 1 kick, Braaaap. Yall have a good week... riding today,YEAH,TTP

riv187

I got a 1980 KTM 420 about 2-3 years ago on ebay for around 800.Nice complete bike for restoration. Someone who raced it years ago had the swingarm and few other parts blue anodized,and painted the frame blue. It has spark.I have never started it.Cranks 180+ compression and honestly I can't kick it through. I never cleaned the carb which no doubt it would need from storage.I race on a 1980 Maico 440 and it is smooth...but there are 2-3 Maicos on the starting line each time I race.I can start my other open bikes,KX420,Husky 430,YZ465..but the KTM has more compression than any of them and I plan to drill a compression release hole for it when I get to restoring it.
 Here's the real kicker...when I bought it,my Dad was driving through Pittsburgh where the bike was.I asked him to pick it up from the seller along the interstate.He called me later to tell me the fellow showed up with mine and a free matching parts bike ..he left the parts bike since he didn't have room ! He was carrying another bike,and didn't want to scratch it trying to squeeze a 3rd bike in back of his truck. AGGHHHHH!!!!!