Historic class MX: Penton vs Maico

Started by sachsmx, March 11, 2008, 08:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

I know this may not be the best place to get an unbiased opinion, but, which would be the better bike for historic class MX racing, an open class Penton or Maico?
I don't have any experience with the Pentons of that era, but I have owned and ridden many AW Maicos and throughly enjoyed them. Now, I have a 1979 KTM 420 MC that I am working on, which was a dream bike of mine when I was in high school, but I am thinking I might enjoy the historic or even the sportsman class more (I once owned a 1974.5 Maico 400GP), since they like to run the PV bikes on modern tracks. It might save some wear and tear on my knees.
I am getting the hankering to ride again, even if it takes 2 knee braces and a lot of pain. I am having a reocurring dream of riding around a perfectly groomed track with enough power to lift the front wheel from corner to corner...:D
Are there any vintage MX organizations in the southeast US?

brian kirby

I ride Pentons and Maicos, but none of them Historic class. Having said that, I doubt you could go wrong with either brand. KTM will have engine reliability over the Maico because of no primary chain, but the Maico might handle a bit better.

Check out the new SE Vintage MX group. It is an independent racing group just getting started in the SE mostly in the Atlanta area. We are having our first race in Bremen, GA this Sunday. If you can coem check it out or come race.

http://www.sevintagemx.com/

Also check out the AHRMA SE region. Most of the races for AHRMA SE are south GA, SC, and FL.

http://www.ahrmase.com/

AHRMA SE is run by Woody Graves, and he is a great guy who works unbelievably hard for us vintage racers. Woody also has his own independent series based in Florida.

//www.flvmx.com

All in all there are lots of races to choose from in the SE.

Brian
Brian

Dave Withrow

An important thing to remember is that Historic is a PV class and run on the same course as GP, EVO, and Modern.  Many National/regionals also run Vintage support classes along with Post Vintage classes.  Personally, I loved my '77 400MC5.  I lowered the front about an inch and it cornered great. As long as you're having fun it really doesn't matter what you ride..............just ride.  Have fun.
Dave Withrow

paul

Hey, the only bad thing I can say about the Maico is poor kickstater. I got stranded out in the woods on my big bore and sold it asap. The knuckles do not hold up.
 Personal opinion, I would say you will get better overall help with a Penton. We want to see ya run and some of us will actually go and cheer ya on. The people that ride and own Pentons look out for each other extremely well and that is priceless. AHRMA SouthEast. Where do you ride? Try Brushy Mnt. NC for some enduro riding. TTP

sachsmx

I don't ride right now. I had given it up (riding modern bikes) for a couple of years due to bad knees, but I just can't seem to get it out of my system. :)I live in western North Carolina (about 1 hour south of Asheville), about 2.5 hours from Atlanta, Knoxville TN, and Greenville SC.
Don't take this as an insult, as I am a long time Penton/KTM fan, but the mid 1970s Pentons just didn't do it for me visually. They have a "bulbous" look to them sort of like they were put together from parts that just didn't go together. I know they worked great for enduro and ISDT work, but for MX they didn't seem to be the hot ticket.
The AW Maicos, on the other hand, looked fast sitting on the showroom floor.
I guess right now I am leaning towards a '75-'77 Maico AW 400 or 440, but it really all depends how my '79 KTM 420 turns out. it will certainly be mechanically sound using many NOS parts, and also beautiful...maybe too much so to ride [:p]

VICTOR MONZ

"Maico - Breako"

Pentons seem to run and run and run !

That's just what I hear out here on the "Left Coast".

They are all fun, no matter how much pushing you have to do.

Victor

brian kirby

I dont know, I seem to be able to break a Penton just as easily as a Maico. :D

Brian
Brian

Big Mac

I ride a 77 MC5 400 against same-era Maicos, Husky's, etc, and they run us on the same gate with PV bikes through '81, including Maico 400s/490s and YZ465s. Other than being a bit too long and raked in the front, which makes cornering less than ideal, the MC5 gives up nothing, and it comes down to the rider. I can routinely stay right with the PV bikes in the first-corner drag race. I battled closely last spring in both motos at Washougal with a very solid rider on a '76 Maico, telling me the bike had plenty to give. The higher-HP and better-sprung PV bikes run away over the race, but I've never lost ground to other Historic-class brands. My MC5 starts easy, shifts perfectly, handles well enough and holds together very well. I get more 'cool bike' comments too. My 2 cents.

For expert advice on Historic-class Penton/KTMs, touch bases with Larry Perkins from this site or through his shop. He knows his stuff.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

sachsmx

Since they are running both the historic and GP evo bikes on the same tracks, maybe I will just try out my 420 and see how I like it before making a switch...or maybe I'll just keep the 420 and buy a '75-77 Maico to keep it company :D You just have to love the way a Maico looks like it is built to win races. They give me the same gut feeling as when the 420 KTMs came out back in 1979. They just looked "right". I always wanted one (KTM 420) but couldn't afford one back in the day. I bought one back in 2000 with plans to restore it but have gotten sidetracked with little things such as a street rod project, a divorce, 2 major moves, 3 job changes, and now another marriage...all since 2004.
I always thought the Maico open class power was soooo smooth. My favorite bike that I have owned and ridden regularly was a 1980 Maico 440, bought used in 1982. It was a dream after I put Ohlins shocks on it. I traded it years ago on a new '86 KTM 500 MX and was disappointed. I just never got the feel for single shock bikes, I guess.
Well, I think I'll just keep my eye open for a '75-77 Maico open classer for sale within a driveable distance [:p]

brian kirby

If I was you I would definitely hang on to the 420, its a good bike for GP 500.

Brian
Brian

paul

sachsmx, Hey, you are damn close to my favorite riding spot in Sylva NC. Weyehutta or the Roy Taylor trail system. Its got a few different names. Have you been there? $5 a day and the most beautiful riding place I have found yet. I am seriously looking for a home near there. I live near Lowes Motor Speedway in Concord. Hollar if ya get over this way or want to check out some riding. I have a few Pentons if ya need a rider. I cant wait to get my 6 day up to Sylva and pretend I am JP. The local riders get a kick outta seeing some of the bikes I ride especially the kids. I have a "modern" KTM but love my oldies. Georgia Off rode Riders are a good group and we have a lot of ride togethers thruout the year. Also check out Durhamtown, its an old slave plantation that a friend of mine has set up to ride on. Union Point Georgia. Worth the drive from your place and he has camping and cottages and no they are not abandoned slave quarters.Easy,TTP

wolfmanonapenton

"How about a 74'maico 400-440 but with a 250-400 ktm engine,,lol theres a machine that would really handle![8D]"BEST OF BOTH WORLDS"

sachsmx

Paul,
Sylva is right in my backyard, so to speak. I live in Franklin, NC and commute to Asheville everyday to work at Borgwarner Turbocharger were I am a design engineer. Its a fun job but one helluva drive (144 miles round trip) on those mountain roads.
I didn't know there was any public riding land in the area, but I've only lived here about 1.5 years. My wife and I are currently looking for a house somewhere near Waynesville, NC which would be about half way between her job and mine.
I would love to find a vintage friendly MX track somewhere to ride my 420, when I get it done. I've been waiting for warmer weather so I can get out in the garage and get going again. I just don't have nearly enough time to "play" right now since my work day is 13 hours including the drive :(

paul

Hey, let me know when you have time and I will take you to Roy Taylor. It is no kidding the most scenic place to ride and is not a real difficult trail. We have a few kids and women that ride in the Georgia Off Road club and they keep up pretty well.
  There is a MX track in Shelby. Next time thru I will stop and check it out. The signs are on the main road Hwy 74. Small world. I used to live just south of you in Otto. There will be a p.m. with my phone #. Give me a call when you have time and we can get that 420 going and on the track. It would be great to have someone to race/ride with. What does the 420 need? Got some spare KTM parts off my 78 so let me know. Easy,TooTallPaul

sachsmx

Thanks Paul, I've sent you a PM with my phone #. I believe I have all the parts I need for my 420 with a lot of spares to boot. My biggest problem is lack of time. I need to send some items out for replating and/or polishing. Do you have any resources for this in western NC?