SERIAL# ID

Started by iammud, November 30, 2000, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iammud

HI,I JUST FOUND A OLD PENTON.I WOULD LIKE TO FIX IT UP.CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IT IS?IT HAS THE #V5709.THANKS.GREAT SITE.

jack
jack

Larry Perkins

Jack,
   What you have is a 1971 Steel Tank Penton.  The steel tanked bikes are the second most collectible Penton.  The motor will ID which it is but the tank will be a clue.  If it is red and white it is probably the 100cc Berkshire and if it is green and white it is probably the 125cc Six Days.  On the ignition side cover there is a plate that will have a number like 1251/5A for 125 or 1001/5A for 100.  This is the best indicator of displacement.  1971 was the last year for the steel tanked bikes.  If you need anything else or parts e-mail me at [email protected].

Paul Danik

Larry,  What is most collectable Penton?? I think you will answer the Wassel trials, but I am not positive.  Paul Danik

Larry Perkins

Paul,
   I spout a lot but of course it is only opinion.  I have my own most collectible Penton list but it is only from what I have seen since we got in the vintage circle less than a year ago.  Like yourself this is the second time I have done the vintage thing.  Only the first time it was the 60's and 70's and it was with these bikes and we didn't know it was vintage we thought it was cutting edge.

I think a case could be made on The Six Days because SO MANY people want them.  On the negative side of collectibility is that SO MANY people have them.  A similar fate runs in the case of The Jackpiner.

You are correct in thinking that I currently believe the Wassel Trials bike or Mudlark is most collectible.  To me they were the Edsel of Pentons.  In all honesty in the day you couldn't give them away and there weren't a ton of them anyway.  There are a decent amount of these still hidden because they are a weired bike.  Because of low numbers and their uniqueness I believe them to be on top for the moment.

I'll give you the one I think in time that will overcome from what I see as #3 collectible to #1.  The Mint 400.  I personally had more trouble finding one of these than anyother Penton.  Again they did not make many and a lot of those were ridden till they finally rattled their cranks apart.  This was not a bad mark they were just RIDDEN.  I get a lot of inquiries on used 400's.

Here is another I am seeing a lot more interest in.  The Berkshire.  I am getting quite a few people looking for these and they almost always give there reason as when I was a kid I raced a (plug in any Japanese brand)  but every time I bought one I drooled over the Berkshire I just couldn't afford it.

So much for the world according to Larry.  The great part no matter what order you list them in is, John made some great bikes, they are collectible, and we are getting to enjoy them again or for so many getting to enjoy them at last.  Ain't life grand?

iammud

THANKS LARRY.WOW..WHAT A COOL SITE!!

jack
jack