Pentons on Display at Unadilla MX National

Started by tooclose racing, August 07, 2009, 03:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Well...If I can't ride them, might as well show 'em!  I've taken Alex Moroz up on his offer to NE AHRMA regulars - bring your bikes for display at Unadilla on August 15th, and the family gets racing passes for the day.  Only requirement is to you have to spend some time (take a shift) at the vintage bike village with the bikes.

This is a particularly cool National with it's retro theme:

http://www.allisports.com/Unadilla-Retro-Motocross-National-Details-Revealed%20%20

I'll be bringing the CMF Six Day and my shiny, "new" 76 MC5 250.

And some beer.  And a chair.  And the Ibuprofen of course. [8D]

tomale

A bunch of us did that at Washougal a couple of weeks ago and we had a great time. We had a nice conversation with Broc Glover. what a great guy.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tooclose racing

I truly hope I can watch ANYTHING at Washougal in person before I die.  I watched the AMA 250F broadcast recently and it is just such a cool track.  I was bouncing up and down on the sofa with the huge terrain changes.  Do you guys do any vintage events there?

And now...drum roll please....let me introduce the POG to the newest member of my "family", my recently aquired MC-5:

I want to thank Gary Ellis for sending me an e-mail last May when I mentioned in a thread here that I was thinking about getting a 76 or 77 250.  I was just stunned when he sent along a couple of photos and offered it to me for under $3000 (uh...that's a joke you guys).  I sent him a check ALMOST immediately (after getting approval from Minister of Finance).  

I haven't mounted up the brand spanking new WP shocks yet (black and white springs), figuring I should keep the old school look for Unadilla.  Hell - I haven't even started it yet, I'm still too banged up and sore.  Yes..it's killing me just to stare at this Orange Crush residing in my garage.  

I've also cleaned up the Six Day for Unadilla.  Nice Circle F pipe, eh?  She just ripped at Mid-Ohio.  As in ripped my rib cage wide open for chrissakes...[xx(]

Should l leave the brush guards on or will this confuse the New Kids On The Block at Unadilla?

454MRW

What a couple of beauties! None will dissapoint. I have brush guards on my RR bike, but without the plastic covers for a slightly more vintage look. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Big Mac

Fourth year for Hammer & Tongs vintage and evo racing at Washougal this past June. We had the 2nd year of less than ideal weather unfortunaely, a slick mudfest this time. Here's a finish line pic of my '77 MC5 400 in action, June '07, a race day that was epic! Quite a thrill coming off the ski jump downhill on 35mm forks and joe-average drum brakes...the TV camera doesn't come close to capturing the massive Horsepower Hill and downhill plunge at Washougal.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

firstturn

Mac,
  Thanks for the picture.  For those of you who haven't had the honor of meeting BIG Mac and his side kick Thom....Big Mac is Big and healthy.  How much time did it take to fix the air conditioner on the Suburban on your trip to Oklahoma.  I laugh everytime I think about you and Thom making that trip.

PS:Thom is just fast....no fancy riding.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Big Mac

Ron,
Thom and I still laugh about that great '04 Reunion Ride road trip. 2400 miles in 3 days with an emergency pit stop repair by a super shop in Kansas...got to Zink Ranch with 1 hour to spare for sign-up and impound. We negotiated the purchase of a '75 Mint 400 by cell phone while on the road, slept in the truck at a Wyoming snow-bound rest area, stayed on our minute and sweated all the way there. Then things fell into place.

The ride went great, perfect weather, both Pentons ran great and we both got golds. The trip couldn't have gone better, met great folks and had a first-rate experience. We're afraid if we tried it again, it might never live up.

We need to have some of you Southerners and Mid-Westerners out the Northwest way to show you some vintage mx hospitality and re-acquaint with old friends!

Jon Still-Big Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

Hi Ron, thanks for the kind words.. I believe we were at the shop less than an hour. It was amazing... The mechanic met us at the door with tools in hand. He took a quick look and the call was made to have the parts delivered. and with in 20 minutes the Napa truck was pulling up. What a great weekend... I can hardly believe it but Mac is right we came home with Gold...
What Mac did not tell you about Washougal is that for the last three years we have had over 500 entries.. That rivals any major vintage race anywhere in the U.S. Usually we race Post vintage on saturday and vintage on Sunday. Horsepower hill is a rush and the skijump down hill is, well a ski jump and it is steep enough to scare yourself. In years past, we ride the same track as the pro's with the exeption of the edges of the jumps cut off to keep us from flying so far and the woop section detuned so we do not go over the handle bars. It is a great place to race and is only 30 minutes from Portland Or. Give us a call if any of you would like to come and race with us, I am sure that if you ask nice we can come up with a bike for a few of you guys to ride...
by the way we race alot up here and washougal is not the only trac we race on... Next month we will be in eastern Washington and racing on a real sand track.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

Ron, just to set the record straight. In the last year or so since Mac has built that new 495 and when we end up in the same moto, Mac usually beats me to the first corner and I have a rough time getting by him. He rides that bike very fast indeed....That bike suits him.... I hate it when that happens....
I have another friend that recently bought and built a very nice 400 Cz, He is spectacular on that bike and I can hardly keep him in sight. When he rides his 80'440 maico I can beat once Him in awhile. but that CZ is like kriptonite to me..

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W