correct colors

Started by bert pack, January 16, 2002, 09:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bert pack

re: wassell # w386st
where could i find the correct color scheme for the frame, triple clamps, hubs etc. i've not started restoration as yet, need to get my "stuff" together so i can do it right the first time.  i have pictures, is there a place i could post a couple for opinions?  TIA

DKWRACER

Food (colors) for thought .....not really sure about true colors for the frame but have had great luck with powder coating with the Mercedes Silver from HB Fuller supplier of coatings etc...( may have a Web site)if you wish to paint, Plasticoat has a good color called light slate grey/silver....

Thomas Brosius

john durrill

We used PJ1's KTM silver grey. It dries quick and is a tough paint. We clear coated the frames with PJ's clear epoxy gloss finish coat. The Powder coating would be much tougher though.
John & Peter

bert pack

dkwracer & john
appreciate the reply.  i'm definitely leaning toward powder coating but may have it sprayed in our body shop.  i work at a toyota dealer.  the ktm silver-grey sounds like an appropriate color.  a good friend owns a local KTM shop, i'll have to pick his brain also.

Dennis Jones

Bert,
Wassells came with a hammered finish siver paint. Hammerite brand is available in most hardware stores and can be bought in quarts or areosal. I did my competition bike with the spray can and after 3 years other than crash scratches looks like new. There is no need to get real carried away with the prep if you are going to ride it as the hammered finish hides small imperfections. The triple clamps and hubs are polished alloy.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

spowell

For the Wassell frame you could try Rust-Oleum #7213 available at Home Depot. It is a Hammered Silver. The hubs and many other parts were polished alum, no paint.

mad max

HI bert
    re your wassell was built here in the uk in a town called wallsall the frame was finished in hamerite silver with all aloy parts pollished