What"s in your toolbag?

Started by marsattacks, September 17, 2009, 08:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

This is sort of an RR-related question on which I have searched and found no info though I thought it had been covered--

Whether it be a tank, fender or belt bag tool kit, what do you carry on a trail ride of more than a short distance?  My choices are pretty obvious and not too helpful in a real jamb:
Plugs and plugwrench
Small bottle of measured two stroke oil
Pliers and crescent wrench
Bike tool w/ multi Allen keys
Juice multi-tool
Duct tape
Cellphone!

How could I forget-an extra cannister of air (Carbon dioxide 95.32%  Nitrogen 2.7%  Argon 1.6%  Oxygen 0.13%  Carbon monoxide 0.07%  Water vapor 0.03%  Nitric oxide 0.013%  Neon 2.5 ppm  Krypton 300 ppb  Formaldehyde 130 ppb [1]  Xenon 80 ppb  Ozone 30 ppb  Methane 10.5 ppb)

Just in case a crash/roost/tree breaks my Mars-issue Jofa!

Any words/hints of wisdom gratefully welcomed.

Mars Attacks!

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Steve Minor

I'd include a shop rag, a few tie wraps and a small coil of safety wire. I've also used vice grips as a shift lever.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

If it is any distance I include an extra masterlink and a Motion Pro fold up chainbreaker.  I also like to carry a Penton Riders Wrench.  It will cover most all your bolts including axles and spark plug.  Also a very small first aid kit.

There are all kinds of cool tricks if you want to carry extrta stuff like cables that can be run along side the current ones and taped to it-ready to use if one breaks.  At Baja we attached several very large zip ties to the crossbar.  They can be used in a pinch as a pipe mount or to attach any broken hardware.  Even better than duct tape sometimes.

Larry P

Paul Danik

I am pretty sure that it was at the Trask Mountain ISDT qualifier in 1974 that Carl Cranke spoke at dinner of stopping on the side of one of the high mountain trials to get a few pictures.  Most of us were just glad to stay on time, but Carl had time for a few Kodak moments, maybe a disposable camera might be handy for a few candid shots on the trail or at the check points.

Paul

tomale

For longer rides I include a metal match and a pocket knike. a compass and a map is not a bad idea either...I took a survival course and they suggested adding a couple of large garbage bags. in a pinch they can be used as a rain coat or a sleeping bag....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

The multi-screwdrver with Phillips and straight slot, in large tip on one end/small on the other, is a must. Get the right one, and the driver without the tips serves as a 8mm nut driver on one end, 7mm on the other.

A spare lever is small and light, also a good idea.

Not many riding areas in the Northwest where there's cell coverage, so we don't bother with a cell phone...Trask Mtn is a dead zone!

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Steve Minor

One item I forgot to mention that might come in handy is a tow rope. POG's good friend "Young Ted" keeps one coiled around his PP headlight on "Davie". See the picture below. You'll also notice he has spare cables already routed and ready to switch out.

http://www.pentonusa.org/photos/2003/ama_day/regviews/dsc02435v.jpg

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

G Ellis

Duct tape under the seat on the set pan, I still use this today. For Non-O ring chain I use Deisel fuel,Put chain in containter and let set. I use two chains,one on the bike one in deisel fuel. Take one off after racing and put the other one on. Dirt free and lubed up from the deisel. I run extra clutch and throttle cables next to one other, this makes it easier if one brakes. Always carry extra shift lever, can't get out of the woods stuck in 3rd gear.:D Hope this will help. Later Gary

Rain Man

Dont forget to bring a few spare nuts and bolts. The longer bolts are more universal also .  Spark plugs may be useful too, and can be sold for twice their value if needed :D

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Lew Mayer

A beer. If it breaks, sit down, relax and wait for the cavalry.:D

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tomale

I have never seen a clutch cable run like it is on young ted's not say it is bad but is different than I have ever seen. I never liked the stock routing. I always thought it had too many tight bends in it... like the idea of extra cable too....

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W