Russian riders from the 1970s at VMD?

Started by sachsmx, January 22, 2002, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

Wouldn't it be great if KTM and POG could work together to bring Guennady Moiseev and/or Vladimir Kavinov to this years VMD at Mid-Ohio to greet fans and compete in the vintage racing if they chose to do so?
These are two great riders, not to mention a 3-time world champ, who helped establish KTM as a power on the world mx scene. There have been businesses and groups who have helped former CZ riders such as J. Falta come to the US to race in big vintage events, couldn't KTM and POG do the same.
I would be willing to donate money and help in any way possible to make this happen. I live about 10 miles form Mid-Ohio and could help with local travel, lodging, etc.
I'd like to here your opinions.

Larry Perkins

I like that idea.  I could toss a little cash but if the Rooskies need  rides the Penton man can provide a 250 and a 400 for racing.  While we are at it maybe we could get POG member Chris Richardson to talk to Lackey(they are tight I think) about getting Falta here to race and we can watch Moiseev and him battle the 74 World Championship again.  I have a fresh MINT 400 that would be up for it with Moiseev aboard.  Where do we start?  Ideas?

sachsmx

We probably need to look for sponsers in the industry, especially ones based in the midwest and eastern half of the US. KTM seems like a direct fit, although I am sure there are others that could use the PR.
Like I mentioned above, I live in the area and always take a weeks vacation the week of VMD. I could help get the guys around and even arrange practice at Honda Hills or even my place (13 acres of rolling hills in central Ohio).
Maybe we should look into some fund raising activities such as internet auctions, raffles, etc. I would think that $3000-4000 per man would easily cover the cost of travel, food, and hotels.
I think a good starting point would be to contact the riders by whatever means possible to see if they would be interested in such a trip.
It seems that I read an article in DB or MXA about 5-8 years ago that stated Moiseev was teaching MX schools in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Let's see what we can do...

Dano

Sounds like a great idea,would be fun to watch.How about getting Bruce McDougal to bring his 125 as well?

bigdanracer

If I can help, let me know. Sounds like a project worth doing.
If the air fares are still low from Calif. I,ll be there, would not miss it.
Thanks, Dan.

Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 51, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.

veelab

What a fantastic idea!! I guess TV/Speedvison coverage would be key to attract sponsorship.

I was wondering for quite some time why KTM is not leveraging more its successful motorsport history for building brand recognition. They should learn from Ducati, the masters of building "mystique" around their brand name.

b

czechmate

Gentelmen, (using the term loosely)I have been a CZ fan since 1970. I presently own 6 museum looking bikes that I race every chance I get. Last year when Jeroslav Falta came to Sears Point, it was the culmination of a dream for me. To meet the man who gave the name to my 250 and 400 Falta Replica's was special. I shook his hand, got his autograph and watched him race and later hand out trophies with Lackey...it was very cool! However, there was something missing. No longer is there a new CZ motorcycle for sale. I needed something from my '70's past to sit along side my present stable of scooters. Hence, I went out and bought 2 1974 KTM 250's. One's an MX'er and the other an ISDT mount. The only thing better than racing a peice of history, is watching the men who made those bikes special. Count me in with money to help bring Moiseev to Mid-Ohio this year...splended idea!