125 MC5 How many are left?

Started by Britt Boyette, October 25, 2009, 06:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Britt Boyette

This is something I'm finding fun and interesting. I have heard that there weren't too many brought in back in 76 and 77. Some estimate that number to be under 200. I don't know if this is correct and I will be the first one to step up and tell you that I have no idea how many came in originally. What I'm noticing is the lack of these bikes that you see or hear about these days. How many would you guess are still out there, running, basket cases or otherewise? Also, how many POG members have one?

Britt Boyette
1976 125 MC5
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

Larry Perkins

There were indeed not many MC5 125's; and I believe the number to be under 200, that came into the states in 76 and 77.  Some of the early ones had trouble with seizures and some of those probably got put to the side.  Part of why you don't see many is because of these two factors and also that they are not real competitive in the Historic 125 class so a lot of racers pass on them.  By 77 the Japanese 125 was far superior than any of the European 125's.  Cool bikes none the less, and the low numbers makes them long term potentially very collectible.

Larry P

Britt Boyette

I just like MC5s in general and you just don't see 125s' very often. I do plan on trying to race mine at some point but I probally won't get too carried away with it. This bike did have a pretty good run at racing back in the day and according to the man who owned it back then, didn't have any issues with it. He did run the Electron carb and now it has the Mikuni but other than that, it's just the same. I do try to pick up extra 125 parts for future spares because you just never know how an engine like this will hold up but I think it will, plus I'm a Jr. rider so I don't ride bikes to their limits anyway. This might be a good match for me. My current rider is a Can Am MX-2 125 so thats what I'll be comparing it with.

Britt Boyette
1976 125 MC5
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
09 Kawasaki Versys

rob w

Britt,

http://gallery.pentonusa.org/gallery/album09/DSC00404

Here's the 1976 MC5 125 I found about 5 1/2 years ago in Ann Arbor, MI.
Probably the least used Penton I've ever run across.
Nothing has been repainted, or touched up.
The only parts on it that are not original-to-new are the hand grips, and tank decals.

Our Admin Bill Smith lives in the same area I found this one - he also has a 125 MC5, found in very good condition.

Bob  

hotrod392

I have a 1977 MC125 that I am putting back together. When I bought it, it had a disassembled and rough motor. Thanks to fellow Penton club members, I have most everything I need to get it going this winter.

The one that was on display at Mid Ohio a couple of years ago was a super nice original.

Shane

clayman

Rob,

Did you sell your 125 yet, the one on CL? Our buddy John Raliegh still wants to come by and check out some bikes when you get some free time. My friend Britt's Penton is stunning. I have seen it in person.

Looks like Britt has been spending quite a bit of time on the POG site by the amount of postings. It took me nearly a year before i had 25 postings and almost 10 years for 250 postings. At this rate, he will bypass me at by next March!

I guess I just don't spend enough time on the POG site......shame on me!

Clay
1973 Penton 125
1969 CZ 360

rob w

Clay,
 I still have the '72 Six-Day. I did sell the '73 Berkshire project last week.
Spoke to John a little over a week ago, still have not met. He's welcome to come by anytime.
Bob

Britt Boyette

This weekend was a slow one, what can I say? Plus, who doesn't want to talk Penton.? Does anyone still race theirs?

Britt Boyette
1976 125 MC5
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
09 Kawasaki Versys

brian kirby

Tom Flores has a really nice '78 MC5 125. It too was not used very much and was in great condition.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Big Mac

Britt - Don't know about 125 MC5s but growing number of Pentons are turning up locally in OR/WA.

Siege has been racing his '74 Harescrambler 250 most all this past year, and just bought a real clean '77 MC5 250 from one of the Suzuki brothers(?) but hasn't had it out yet. I raced my Mint 400 in the TransAm class last April, but have been on an '81 Evo-KTM otherwise. When they change rules to allow my MC5 400 in Trans-Am class, I'd run it there.

You used to run the slender yellow tank CZ in vintage, no?

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

gooddirt

Jon so I can race my 1974.5 penton 250 in the Ahrma sportsman class but not in the VDR vintage class whatz up with that !?:( I thought they had cooler rules .[8D] ]   LG

Mike Lenz

I tried...am still trying to get a 76 to be competive for PV MX. Besides the all alum clutch, I lightened a couple gears, did some exterior engine trimming, used 1980 125 wheels, smaller 75 mx tank and anything else I could do for weight reduction (except go on a diet, of course!). For engine performance I lightened and stuffed the crank, used a newer Motoplat with auto advance/retard mapping, ported the cylinder (mainly opening up the intake, adding a center boost finger and widening the exhaust. Went with a 79 pipe and tried both a 32 and 36mm Bing.

I have to say I was disapointed with the results. The powerband hits hard and then almost immediately signs off hard.  Too narrow for the wide ratio gearbox, which is the main problem for this engine for MX.
Im thinking of going to a 34mm Mikuni and a more convential pipe such as a modified 74 style pipe. That 79 125 pipe seems awfully big for   this 125 to charge. Maybe a smaller pipe (and carb?) will widen out the powerband some...I hope.  Any ideas anyone? Boy it sure looks cool though!

Britt Boyette

Jon, no that was another Bret. I want to say his last name is Gibany or something close to that.

Larry, you can race your bike in VDR vintage if you choose to. I've run my CanAm in both vintage and Transam on the same day.

Mike, I've heard in the past that the best thing you could do for a Penton back in the day was to just add a GEM reed kit. Other than that, it might of been way easier to just get a larger engine. The 175 is a great engine, all things considered. I know I would rather have a 250 than a 125 but this is what I do have and I am happy with it. I will see in time how well the Mikuni 34 does on it and let you know. I wonder if a lightweight flywheel like the one found with the PVL would make a difference on how the engine would do on a MX track?

Britt Boyette
1976 125 MC5
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
09 Kawasaki Versys

tomale

you can race a 74.5 Penton in VDR. it all depends on how you set it up. it you run the rear shocks in the up right postion with the shock moved back towards the rear axle. then yes it can be run as a vintage legal bike. if you run the rear shocks  layed down then you must run it in either a PV class or what we call the TransAm class. It is sort of like the Historic class. But unlike the historic class the MC 5's are not legal for this class. I argued that they were not competitive enough to run with the 79 Elsinor's which seem dominate the 250 PV class, The reasons are too numerous to list here. It can be done but then it would no longer be a 76/77 MC 5
So my MC 5 sits in my Garage gathering dust...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W