beginning Penton restoration

Started by joe novak, November 23, 2009, 12:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe novak

Hello,  I am ready to start a restoration on a 1972 Penton which may likely end up as a Berkshire.  The parts are completely removed from the frame, swingarm and engine mount removed, steering head races removed, rear fender frame loop straightened, and the frame is likely going to BANKS MFG. for sandblasting this week.  I am asking everyones' advice on what to do about the swingarm bushings.  Do I try to duct tape them, and ask the blaster to avoid the area.  Is it false economy to reuse them?  I hear it is very hard to remove them, but I know I can get them out one way or another.  Also, I intend to leave the swingarm pinch bolt and swingarm bolt in to protect the threads.  The triple clamps sort of need to be redone, too.  Should they be media blasted?  How does one paint aluminum?   Thank you,  joe

garrettccovington

Joe, I have only been a member for a 9 months and I had the same questions when I started on my 72 6-day..  Now, my bike is a rider, but, I also store it in my Living room (Its so cool).
  I first sprayed on some paint stripper then,  I took a wire wheel with a drill motor to the frame and it took me less than 2 hours to strip it bare.  Up here in Barstow CA you have to take everything everywhere to get any special things like media blast or sand blasting. Or you can leave it outside for awhile.
Now, the frame paint, I tried everything I could get my hands on from Home depot
The best thing I found is (trust me I tried them all)
Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2X Gray Primer #249088  Let dry good. sand lightly with 600 grit.  Then I used Rust-Oleum Hammered Silver 7213.  The key is, spray lots of very light coats. Do not sand between coats. By spraying light coats it won't bring out the "Hammered" finish, but I swear it looks perfect.  Hey try it its only $5.00  Plus the stuff is on there good.  I think one thing that helped me was I was able to paint the frame in August outside where its about 110. I've been in 1 race (yesterday) and today I thrashed the bike out here in the desert. Really rode it hard all day, then took it to the car wash.  The paint was fine.
Practice on the swing arm, you will get the feel for it.  Didn't need to wet sand or top coat or anything. the hammer finish has a nice, I say perfect factory finish.

VERY IMPORTANT,  Make sure your engine and coil are grounded  when reassembly or you will burn out your Motoplat.

Hey, worse comes to worse, all your out is 2 hours of time and $10.00
If you do try this, please e-mail your results

G  

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

joe novak

Thank you Garrett,   I intend for this project bike to also be a rider/racer, too.  Isn't that the beauty of the Penton: they were built to ride in tough conditions.   That is why I need a tough paint what won't rub off.  In Ohio, we have lots of mud, even in the Summer.  Cleaning the bikes can be a chore, especially the way the early CMF Pentons were designed with gussets for strength.   The gussets are real mud traps!   This CMF is a test model for painting.   My next project bike is a 1971 steel tanker which is also down to the frame at this very moment.    joe

garrettccovington

Joe another thing.  I don't know the condition of your motor, but, my clutch had some "axial play" that I wasn't "feeling the love" from.  I think it was Brian Kirby that suggested I change out the bushing.  Al B had them and the shims in stock and Doug Willford suggested the clearance be tight (?) and run 600cc of 80 weight non hypoid oil.  My clearance between the bushing and c-clip ended up .001.  The past 2 days I've been hammering the clutch.  I never drove this bike as hard as I did when I was a kid and everything worked perfect.  Now I weigh around 190lbs and back in the day I weighed around 135 soaking wet. do a message search for "Axial Play"  you'll see all the posts

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

cubfan1968

I had my tripleclamps bead blasted, to be honest I kind of liked the finish so I left them alone and never repainted them.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

joe novak

I have always been gentle with my SACHS clutches because I have seen the ends of the clutch shaft where the circlip attaches break right off.  I have seen people use a die grinder to try to regroove the shaft rather than replace the shaft, and split the cases.  I always wanted to replace the helical gears with straight cut gears.   Thanks for the info on media blasting the triple clamps.  I was just cleaning them up this evening, and wondering what the next step will be.  I would think media blasting and a shot of clear finish might be one way to go.   joe

VICTOR MONZ

Joe.

I have had good luck with my local "auto paint" shop matching the paint and making up high quality spray cans for the frame and pieces parts.  I used a self etching primer and my "matched paint spray can, then a 2 part hardener clear, many coats of course and it turned out great....it was used  on my Berkshire which I have recently shared pictures of....they made them up for $12/can and it is real nice and matched perfect.

I replaced swing arm bushings when I powdercoated the Six Day, but didn't on the Berskshire, they were not too bad and I don't ride every day like I did as a kid...all seems well.

Keep up the project and ask lots of questions....I always find good ideas, but eventually have to make my call and just get it done !

Good luck.

Victor