racing gas

Started by joe novak, November 23, 2009, 04:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe novak

There has been much discussion about fiberglas gas tanks and gasoline.   Many riders have recommended VP C-12 which is a leaded/non-oxygenated fuel.   That would be a great racing gas to use, except the only local distributor which I can find is asking a whopping $37 per gallon.  Another fuel distributor sells VP-110 which is supposedly also a leaded/non-oxygenated fuel.   Would VP-110 be a suitable fuel to use in the Penton fiberglass tanks?  What affect does the racing fuel have on the outside of painted fiberglass tanks? Thank you,  joe  p.s. I have a beautiful tank which I do not want to risk damaging, either inside nor out.

brian kirby

VP-110 will work fine. It is ethanol free and should not damage your tank in any way.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Doug Bridges

I have been useing aviation fuel. 100 octane, leaded, nonoxygenated, alcohol free and under $6.00 per gallon. It hasn't bothered the fiberglass at all and runs very well.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner/FrankenPenton project
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

garrettccovington

Most dirt bike shops or at least the ones out here, Have VP C-12 on the shelve. Its about $57.00 for 5 gal or sunoco 110 price (?)  I just pulled my plug out of the bike and it has a good brown color to it. I run a NGK B9HS, one level cooler than stock
After practice and each Moto yesterday I pulled the plug, and the concensus was to raise the needle one notch

Don't know what it does to the outside paint, mines stock,but the inside is fine.  I still drain it after each day of riding.

My next project is to paint the outside of the tank with Home depot John Deer Green.  I bet it comes out good, I'm feeling Lucky.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Alan Mason

For those riders in or near Pennsylvania, I'm told that "Quick Fill" gas doesn't contain any alcohol yet. I haven't personally checked it out cause I'm still in the restoration process of my first Penton in about 30 years.

74/75 250 Harescrambler