Bettencourt Jackpiner

Started by Gordon Brennan, November 26, 2009, 05:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Brennan

Hey Folks, The nedb boys are wondering if this guy made a good deal. He paid $1000.00 at the auction.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/1482215747.html

wfopete

Looks like a winner to me. Ride, restore or preserve as is? Should be a great example of an original Piner.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Jeff D

I'd be hard-pressed to put an additional $1400 in the sellers pocket, knowing what he paid for it.  I can see expecting a couple hundred bucks profit for your time, etc., but I can't agree with the price-gouging going on in that ad.  Just my 2 cents worth...

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Gordon Brennan

I felt the same way Jeff. Someone who saw it, said it was pretty rough. I didn't think it would be worth $2400.00, but thought I'd ask you folks.

gooddirt

What what what? [:0] the guy can ask what he wants. We don't need a penton price control policy;). He will get what the market bears. LG

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by gooddirt

What what what? [:0] the guy can ask what he wants. We don't need a penton price control policy. He will get what the market bears. LG

Agreed [^]

tomale

I understand about the concept of what the market can bear but there are some guys out there with more money than sense, they have no concept of the value and all they know is what they want and are willing to pay the price regardless.. Then there are there who are trying to fund their race program on a single deal. That is fine for them but it tends to bring the price up for the rest of us.... With that in mind, I tend to buy and sell to those who actually ride these wonderful bikes...I buy almost nothing on evil bay or C list. Networking is still the best way to get things done. I have several bikes that I have bought over the last few years that would make some folk reel in envy. I could not afford them other wise. I am grateful for each one of them. I in turn tend to sell things including bikes as reasonalble as possible... This is not about making money...I have a job for that....If we are not carful, we will price ourselves right out of existence.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

gooddirt

In todays market it would go for $1400- 1800 on a good day. Hey he can always lower the price. So if he got the bike for $500 and sold it for $1500 did he still make to much money ? He can do his thing and others theirs and Iam fine with that. If the motor needs a rebuild is there someone in the network going to do it free or at below cost ?  Or someone who has reproduced penton parts going to sell at below his cost and time? Who is going to build the race bikes when those who can't are at their jobs.I have a buddy who has over $800,000 of vintage bikes at last count. He has kept a lot of folks with WORK over the years and they are happy with that.;) LG

brian kirby

I dont think Jeff was saying he was wrong to ask $2400, I think he was saying on the market right now its worth much less, like in the $1400 range at most like LG said Jeff just said it a different way.

You have every right to ask any price you want, and your potential customers have every right to think its too high. Thats the way the market works.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

tomale

I have no trouble with someone making a few bucks on a deal. and if you can pick up a bike for 500 bucks and sell it for 1400.00 go for it. But charging 50 bucks for a part that cost you 5 bucks does no body any good. I have a 74 1/2 GP 440 maico. It is very nice and I spent many hours building that bike. I used only the best parts and a few parts that are not commonly available. I am sure that even if I could get 6500.00 bucks for and I have seen them go for that much I would still not sell it for that much. If you do not agree with me, that is fine. I am only saying this is the way I handle things..... no wonder the economy is in such a state when you have auto workers with highschool education making 150'000 per annum running an impact wrench and school teachers with 6 Years of education making 45'000 True they made the descion but is that really reasonable. Not that school teachers should make more but a 6 figure job to work on an assembly line? No wonder I have to drive an old truck. Greed is not a virtue and no matter how you polish it it is still greed. sorry I high jacked this post. I did not mean to do that....

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Jeff D

Not sure precisely how to word the point I was trying to make.  If I paid the asking price for the Piner only to find out later the seller got it for a grand and promptly turned it for a huge profit, I would feel like I'd been taken to the cleaners by a scalper.  Likewise, if I picked up the bike for a grand with intentions of quickly selling it, I could not charge $2400 to a fellow enthusiast and sleep at night with a clear conscience.  I am not trying to be the Penton pricing police...I just think we should treat each other with respect, that's all.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

pdness

was at auction surprised it did 1000 +13% fee saw add on craigslist couple days after auction still laughing he thinks worth 2400. i am restoring 73 hare scrambler i paid 200 deals are out there keep looking.

73 hare scrambler 250
73 hare scrambler 250

Larry Perkins

Sometimes a deal isn't really a deal.  I have seen many happy new owners that paid $200 for a "project" frown before it was done because they had $3000 in it to get it on its feet and presentable.  As far as what a bike is worth-I have said many times it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  If someone had paid the $2400 they proved it was worth that.  So this one is currently worth $1000 under that theory.  If the bike would bear $2400 what does it matter how much profit was made?  If the buyer agreed to the price does it really matter if the owner made $200 or $2000?  Everyone has the right to say yes or no to any deal.  When all say no then the price goes down.  When someone says yes a price becomes established.

Larry P

joe novak

I wonder how many Penton enthusiasts wish they could have purchased that Jackpiner for $1000.  I would have purchased it!  It sure looks good in the photo.   Remember, it is usually the seller who posts the list price, but it is the buyer who ALWAYS determines the purchase price.  There is a Penton 250 on Ebay listed at $8,000.  I am curious what price the buyer is willing to pay.   Spend your money wisely.

DKWRACER

Thom, I don't feel you hijacked this post, supposing you had 18 Bultacos,each one deserving of the attention that we give our Pentons. I do know of one that has done as much, Some are NOT original..much like mine. Will we be ever to find one, that will pay for what we have done? Remember, this would never have happened without a dream, you should see his bikes,I frequent his shop for a reason..............

adios, Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius