Steel Tank Frame

Started by Admin, December 03, 2009, 04:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Hello, my name is George Paganelli and I am an Italian resident in Modena. I kindly ask you if you can indicate the year and model of the frame in my possession.  The numbers on the headstock are as follows * 1001 * V. There are a lots of additions on the frame that you can see.  

Attached are some photos. I hope you can help me to identify what bike it was. I think it is a KTM Penton 125 Sachs.

Thanks
Regards
Giorgio Paganelli

firstturn

I am not sure what the *'s stand for, but it could have been a special frame for the ISDT or a factory Rider.  The reason I say this is if the extra gussets on the down tubes around the area of the swingarm bolt was actually done at the factory then it was a special frame??  Some what lice we put RC on our Honda Race bikes since we had a lot of pre-prouduction frames floating around the shop.
  Thanks for the pictures.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Giorgio,

I have several bare NOS frames that do not have serial numbers, they were intended to be used as replacements as needed, but obviously were never needed.  I have been told that the replacement procedure was to stamp the replacement frame with the serial number of the frame that was being replaced. Therefore an earlier frame number could end up on a later frame that had some later improvements.

Given that this frame has the removable skid plate, one piece front engine mount, is a frame breather, along with a few other questionable items, I think it is a replacement frame. The swingarm is also a later version as it has the inside corner gussets.

Here is a bit of information from a couple of bikes that I have that might support this conclusion.

#V 1026 is a non frame breather and has none of those later items listed above. # V1323 and V 1534 are frame breathers, but still have the earlier welded on skid plate,two front motor mounts ect.

I also think V 1001 would still have had a mounting bracket for the earlier style airbox on the underside of the top box tube, I will be away for a few days and will look at V 1026 when I get back to see if it has that bracket, but I am pretty sure that it does.

I agree with Rob that it is a frame built by KTM for a Sachs powered Penton.  My guess is that the frame is from 1969.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Paul

firstturn

And the extra gussets?  I think by the number it would be a 1968 by USA bike?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh