LAS VEGAS AMA Banquet

Started by Larry Perkins, December 05, 2009, 11:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Went to the AMA awards banquet last night and it was worth the 40 years I waited to get an invite.  Yes, I spent the better part of a lifetime trying to win an AMA number one plate.  Pure proof that it is never over till it is over and that it all happens in God's time.  Good food and saw some good POG people.  John and Jack Penton were there and Jack awarded Cory Buttrick his award as Vintage Grand National Champion.  Cory was on the BUSY schedule.  He was here in Vegas Friday for this banquet and was headed Saturday to West Virginia for the GNCC banquet and back out to California the next day to test bikes with KTM.  Cool deal for such a young guy.  If you have not met him he is a very nice young man.  His parents did good.  Also saw Kent Knudsen and met his wife for the first time.  Both are great people and super supporters of the sport.  If you don't know Kent he is one of the masterminds behind many beautiful Pentons including the ones Cory rode to victory at Mid-Ohio.

Okay if you don't want to read the self-indulgence skip on.

I want to thank all the following for helping me to get lucky and finally win an AMA number one plate.

My Mom for making that first mini-bike happen and her encouragement for me to dream.

Marcia Beyer and McNichol Racing for the help in getting to the races.

Ron Carbaugh for his love, his encouragement, and his advice as a Brother and friend. Also for constantly allowing me to owe him.

Al Buehner and Buehner Supply for the constant help and support with parts and help.

Thanks to all and that is it from Vegas.

Larry P

firstturn

Larry,
  You have the number 1 Plate, but you still haven't topped the day you won the School Boy Championship 100 Expert Class and beat all the DG & FMF guys.  You are a real Friend and your desire should inspire others not to give up.
  Thanks for that Great Day at the Astrodome way back when and for your Friendship.  You are one Friend that I always depend on and thanks for, as you call it Self Indulgence, you deserve the Honor and the #1 Plate.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

VICTOR MONZ

Larry.

Congradulations, just reading your post makes me feel a part of something real special.  You are a special guy, thanks for being a part of our group.

Excellent job !

When I read your thanks to Mom, I had to call my Mom and thank her for taking me and my buddies up to our local park to ride my 50cc Suzuki as a little boy...it took me back a bit.

Thanks.

Victor

garrettccovington

Right ON!!!  Congrates!!!

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Tflores

Congrats Larry!  

And a sincere thank you for letting me partner with you on upcomming events.  Another testament to your winning ways.

Tom Flores
72 Penton Berkshire
77 Penton MC5 250
78 KTM MC5 125
07 KTM 300XC
Tom Flores
72 Penton Berkshire
77 Penton GS6 250
77 Penton MC5 250
12 KTM 300XCW
76 Honda XR75
73 Honda CB750K3

tooclose racing

Yep - I have to chime in and say Atta boy, Mr. Perkins.  You put in a solid ride at the Mid-Ohio CC race.  

Tom - you and I have some "unfinished business" at the Vintage Days CC race.  ;).  

Think you two will be back there next year? After all, now Larry has to DEFEND his #1 plate, right? [:p]  

Happy holidays to both of you.

Jerry Chafton

Larry,
Congratulations on your plate. It sure didn't come easy and we certainly had fun at Mid-Ohio.
I intended to slip off to Vegas myself to pick up mine but when I put the pencil to the cost I decided I would just have to wait for the postal service to bring it to me.
I wish I could have attended and shared in the experience with all you guys and gals.
Hope to see you in Florida for the first CC event.
Jerry Chafton

ps..did you notice the pictures I sent to POG of the awards presentation at the track?

Larry Perkins

Thanks guys.  I probably won't be doing any Vintage this next year.  Tom Flores, Ric Emmal, and I are racing as a Team this year in the Best In The Desert Series on a New 2010 KTM 150xc in the small bore 2 stroke class.  We will race 6 races out West and plan one of them to be with the 1975 Vintage Penton 125.  Probably Vegas to Reno.  Our first race is January 9th in the Parker 250 in Arizona.  I am also racing solo in the WORCS Series in 125A class.

Larry P

sixdazed

Congrats Larry,
   You deserve that plate!Looking foward to Parker and the rest of the BITD series with you and Tom.This is gonna be Fun...
                                                        Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Charles Gresham

Congrats Mr. Perkins ! Your Astrodome victory story was a pleasure to read ! POG's are fortunate to have your insights !
1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180

garrettccovington

Larry, Looking forward to meeting you guys at the Adelanto WORC Race.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Larry Perkins

That will be great Garrett.  Middle of April I should be there.  What is that place like?

Larry P

ALB

Congratulations Larry.
Your dedication, determination and hard work helped get you there.
Thanks to you and Cory (and Kent), there is now a bigger "Penton awareness".

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Richard

Congratulations on a well deserved win! Does this mean that you will move up from intermediate?

garrettccovington

Larry in April the nights are cold and windy and the days are mild windy. Unless we have rain the day before the race, expect sand, deep sand, whoops in sand and every hill will have rocks,  The big Sharp Jagged loose kind, not the round smooth river bottom kind.
On top of the mountains you can see for 20-30 miles.
 Make sure you lock everything up good.  Even if you camp in the desert.  The wind hides the theives at night.
 You can use my Barstow House as a Base camp. Its small, not far from the track and secure.  Heck, You can park and work on the bikes in the house, I do.
If you have any questions my e-mail address is(I don't think the e-mail thing is working on the website yet)
[email protected]

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250