No swing in the swingarm.

Started by Dale Fisher, December 07, 2009, 08:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

The 74 Berkshire is through the final stages of dis-assembly.  Next the frame is off to be sandblasted.  Once the rear wheel and shocks were removed the swingarm basically stayed in the same position.  It is moveable up and down but always returns to the same spot almost as if it was on a spring.  I'm used to a swingarm with free movement, is this normal or are new bushings in order[?]
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Randy Kirkbride

Dale,
Sounds like they're working properly. The rubber in the bushing is what lets the swingarm pivot.

joe novak

Dale,  The swingarm bushings consist of an outer steel sleeve (which is pressed into the swingarm), and inner steel sleeve (through which the swingarm and engine mount bolt passes), and thin rubber sandwiched between.  It is a single unit piece.   One bushing on each side of the swingarm.  It is the misconception of many that the swingarm bolt must be snug, but left loose enough to allow easy movement of the swingarm.  NOT true.  This will wear out the frame brackets and engine mount, and the bolt.   The swingarm bolt must be torque properly to tighten everything together down there.  fyi.  When I torque my swingarm bolt, I position the swingarm in a slightly up position.  ie. if you have 4" of travel, I move the swingarm to about the first 1 1/2" position of swingarm travel.  That way the swingarm bushings sort of twist CW a bit, and CCW a bit.   joe