Ask The Expert?

Started by Mike Lenz, December 10, 2009, 10:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

I have always run the "250" organic clutch pack in my 400's because i am worried about the long term effects of runnibg the brass plates due to the fact they wear the steel plates thru use. Would that steel floating around in the tranny cause more wear on bearings, ect faster? The reason Im asking is because that clutch pack doesnt last very long in a 400 before it starts to slip, and Im getting tired of that. Id like the grip of the brass plates, but we are not trading these bikes in after a year, as we did back when!

Kip Kern

Mike  Use the brass plates and change the oil more often if worried about material in it.  I ve never seen a set of brass plates separate from the steel like organic plates do;)  I am trying to get plates manufactured here in the US but it costs big $$.  Merry Christmas

Mike Lenz

Thanks kip. I guess I will start using the brass.  I have installed a Mighty Magnet in the end of the drain plug...but Im hesitant to do anything that could cause more wear. I never have had the organic plates seperate though, they just start slipping.  I considered rough sanding them if in good shape for reuse.  Anyone tried this?