Memories of fall (1973).

Started by Dale Fisher, December 28, 2009, 10:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

Where were you in the fall of 1973?

From the Fisher archives comes a wealth of memorabilia on the 1973 ISDT.

Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

firstturn

In looking at some of my printed media that I am going to sell I found part of my file from the '73 ISDT.  I knew a gentleman that was a local Marshall for the course and he sent me the final standings original sheet and the Dalton News-Record for Thrusday September 20, 1973.  Great front page of all the Ceremonies and the start countdown.  Thanks Dale for the memories of the Great ISDT of '73.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dale Fisher

Ron, This is only a small portion of the material.   I have Cycle News before and after, local papers, spectator kit, daily route maps, actual route markers (taken from trails), and patchs.  The list goes on from there.....A team helmet my would have been the only other item my brother would have liked to found.
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

firstturn

Dale,
  Sounds neat.  I wasn't there as I was mainly interested in MX, but I was fortunite enough to get items sent to me.  This past weekend was enjoyable looking over the Great history of Penton.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Charles Gresham

1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180

rob w

Issue 6-5-73 Race date 5-11-73 Attn: Dale in 125 class

VICTOR MONZ

Must have been a real neat track with a name like that !

Victor

jeff greenberg

Rob- Had to look twice, a article on Victor Park night MX! Dang, that track was 40 minutes from my house in Toledo. I raced both flat track on the 1/4 mile up there as well as motocross. Garth Brow, Don Goss and Ted Booty were often there in '72 and '73 on the oval. I did race at least one night MX on my 125 Penton. They used to have night TT races also at Delta. Thanks for posting that!

Victor-  I do think they named that park after you!!

Jeff

Dale Fisher

I'm sure the had the scoring goofed up. I definatley remember finishing 1st:D

Victor Park in Milan was next to the dragway.  On the weekends you could take a break from the bikes walk over the the fench in between and watch the cars on the 1/4 mile.

Here I am at Victor park in the daytime hours.  I may have posted this before.  Thanks Bob for searching your Cycle news.  There are two I would like to find from 1972.  More to follow on the ISDT.

Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

Dave Mitchell

I raced in the fist race at Milan, still have the blaze orange victor park sticker they gave us at sign-up on my toolbox.Brings back some memories eh Jeff? Ah yes Sat.night TT at delta then back to the shop and switch the old penton back to do battle at Travelers or where ever on Sunday. Oh yea those were the days.
Dave

jeff greenberg

Right on the money Dave! I did the same thing- converting my Penton and my tricked out SL-100 to run flat track on Saturday night then a scrambles somewhere on Sunday. I got totally run over in the first turn in a Victor Park MX one time when I was 15. Really freaked out my mom!
Jeff

Dave Mitchell

Speakin of run over buddy.I used to work for Lou at Suzuki Intl. On Sylvania Ave. and was prepping a Tm400 in the spring and got crazy and bought one {just had to have the power,you know how it is at 17}But the key thing is I wieghed about 125 with my leathers on.So it's sat. night at the Delta tt track and I'm on this very ill handling rocketship.We're on the line the flags dropping,everybody has it pegged,nobody's backin down off the dropaway,we're on the ground but we all psyched each other out and we are cruisin way too fast dog pile in the corner I mean bikes everywhere but on the track. I'm sure you remember the intensity of some of those races Jeff.Hell I bet you were there that night.The cool thing was we didn't even worry about gettin hurt.
Dave

Dale Fisher

My brother Dave raced motocross with me and also did the Victor Park flat track and TT races on a 250 Suzuki.  He often comments on not having any pictures.  Anyone have any Victor Park flat track pictures?
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

jeff greenberg

Dale-  I ran across some pictures and i will get them posted for you!
Jeff

jeff greenberg

Dale-  Here ya go. Pictures of the flat track at Victor Park. Mostly shots of my buddy Will Boss.  Maybe your brother remembers him.
Jeff
[/URL]
[/img]
[/URL]
[/img]

[/URL]
[/img]