VDO Enduro Racer

Started by [email protected], December 30, 2009, 10:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Cleaning out the garage, I found a VDO enduro racer in VGC. It either was for a late 70's KTM or Husky. If interested contact Jeff Anthony, [email protected]   $50 plus shipping.  Thanks

SouthRider

Is this a VDO "Pacer"?

The Pacer was a VDO speedo that was mechanically calibrated to a speed average (I believe it was 24 mph).

If memory serves correct it had a regular odometer, with a sweep hand resembling a clock that showed you how many minutes into the hour you were supposed to be based on the average. They did a great job  - but were only good for one speed average, and didn't sell well.

I am interested - would be a great addition to my little Berkie.

Does it still work? Do you have any photos?

Thanx,

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

[email protected]

Yes, It works great. Send me youe e-mail and I will try to send you a picture. It is set up for straight 24 mph. Thanks, Jeff

SouthRider

Jeff,

I tried emailing you through the site - now I'm reading a post that the sites email program isn't working.

You can reach me at [email protected]

Thanx,

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

t20sl

I believe the forerunner to the VDO factory made "pacer" was a homemade modification made from a VDO by Gladwin Cycles in Michigan.  Looked identical but had their name on it. I still use one on my "modern" bike.  Ohio basically used 24mph for everything and since I figured time in my head based on the "5 minute system" it was handy.  Guess that is a reason I hate the current MX version of National Enduros.  No one cares about the timekeeping aspect anymore.  Ted

SouthRider

I too was an old style Enduro rider, and loved timekeeping. I won many a race because of the inability or unwillingness of some riders to learn timekeeping. It was a fun part of the challenge to try & get into the head of the "trail boss" that layed it out.

I thought that it was an integral part of the sport, and that those that didn't want to do it could go motocross, or ride hare scrambles.

It is a shame that National Enduros are no longer enduros, but a modern type of one day trials. Fun, but not an Enduro....

Fortunately many AMA district associations still run old rule enduros, albeit not like the old ones.

In my humble but old school opionion computers ruined the sport, and should have been banned some 30 years ago. A modern enduro with 10-15 speed changes, huge resets, speed changes inside of resets, etc. isn't much better than a National under the new format.

We used to lay out runs that would include logging or jeep roads after test sections to allow riders to get back on time safely.

Sitting in the woods at a fifteen minute reset lets your muscles get cold, and lets your bike cool off, or you end up choking on all the exhaust. Not much fun to have a killer test section, then sit around doing nothing, followed by another killer test section......

Oh well, guess I'm just getting old................

Clark

1979 SERA Louisiana State Champ

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

SouthRider

Jeff, I am still interested in the VDO - please contact me when you get a chance.

Clark
[email protected]

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by t20sl

I believe the forerunner to the VDO factory made "pacer" was a homemade modification made from a VDO by Gladwin Cycles in Michigan.  Looked identical but had their name on it. I still use one on my "modern" bike.  Ohio basically used 24mph for everything and since I figured time in my head based on the "5 minute system" it was handy.  Guess that is a reason I hate the current MX version of National Enduros.  No one cares about the timekeeping aspect anymore.  Ted

Here's one I found. Gladwin Cycles was a Penton dealership owned by the Keen family.

SouthRider

Wow - that's cool. You can even see the little dent that the front brake cable made the first time it was taken over a jump.....

I would still love to have one of these for my Berkshire.

Clark

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

tofriedel

Tony

firstturn

I have a NOS one that was sold by and has Penton Hi=Point on the dial.   I found it in my desk?  It is for sale.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

SouthRider

Wow - that's cool. You can even see the little dent that the front brake cable made the first time it was taken over a jump.....

I would still love to have one of these for my Berkshire.

Clark

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

tofriedel

Tony

firstturn

I have a NOS one that was sold by and has Penton Hi=Point on the dial.   I found it in my desk?  It is for sale.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

fasmith

Ron

Have you sold the VDO yet?  I am interested in it.

Thanks

Freddie Smith