Clutch on '73 175

Started by adrian_goold, January 30, 2002, 02:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrian_goold

I have had the clutch apart on my 175 and would like to know how to set the clutch up. The manual shows a tool to set the depth of the nuts on the spring bolts. I don't have one of these, so what measurements do i need to complete the task?

Also freshening the top end. Any tricks or tips that would be an improvement.

Adrian

Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

john durrill

Adrian,
 make sure that the threads are  clean and straight with no burrs. You can use a socket and a small screw driver to turn the nuts and get you adjustments. The book i have says 2 to three threads should be showing through the nut. Just make sure that the amount of screw showing is the same on all .
You can rigg a dial indicator to check for uneven tension.
Champhor the ports and check to see that the last person working on it drilled the hole in the exhaust side of the piston. would lightly break the corners of the  skirt on the intake side of the piston. Make sure that the deck height is right.
Hope this was a help
John

Rocket

Adrian
I have found it best to use a dial indicator to get the clutch set up so it does not drag.  The clutch has to be pulled in and measure on the pressure plate.  Rotate the clutch and the indicator should read close to zero all the way around it.  I use and indicator clamp and post extension to get to the pressure plate by clamping to the frame tube under the motor.
Rocket

adrian_goold

Thanks for response guys. Will have go tonight.
I have a new piston and the barrel i have has a new sleeve put in it before i got it. What clearance do i tell the engine guy give the piston when he bores it suit the piston?
Also what deck height do you recommend?

What sprocket sizes are you guys using for racing the 175 in motocross.

Regards,
Adrian Goold
'73 175 running
'80 250 project
'81 495 project
'00 250exc running
Regards,
Adrian Goold #101

Larry Perkins

If it is a Mahle piston use .0025 and if it is a Wiseco .0035.  Break it in easy either way.  Set the deck heigth like the manual says.  Different riders like different gearing.  I like to gear Pentons lower so that first is a bailout gear and starts are done in 2nd.  I think Jesse's 175 is 13-56 and my 250 is 14-57.  I have run as high as 14-52 on my Post-Vintage bikes.