Penton Dealer/Service School 2/6/2010

Started by Paul Danik, January 05, 2010, 08:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Some of my fondest memories of traveling to Lorain, Ohio were of going to the Penton Dealer and Service Schools. I still have the paperwork for the one that took place on February 12, 1973. I was out of high school by then, but when I was still in school I would talk to the principal about missing school for this event and he was always very sympathetic to my cause.

The Penton Day at the AMA annual POG event grew out of the strong desire to try and rekindle some of the very strong personal, emotional and mechanical bonds that were very evident at the Penton Dealer Schools. The folks who attended those events were not just there to learn how to make a few more bucks, it was as much family reunion as it was motorcycle business, and in the center of it all was John Penton...

This years Penton Day at the AMA event will take place on Saturday February 6, 2010 at the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum located on the AMA campus in Pickerington, Ohio. The Museum opens at 9am and our days events will begin at 10am. This link will take you to their website containing directions, available lodging and much more.
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/about/hours.asp

If you have a Penton powered by a KTM engine you will most certainly want to attend this event. Kip Kern and Forest Stahl have graciously agreed to lead a discussion on the dismantling and rebuilding of the KTM engine. The entire engine from drainplug to sparkplug will be discussed.

You say your engine is fine but your ignition is the problem, your in luck as we have the best possible person to help you along.  Dane Leimbach has agreed to lead a discussion on the evolution of the KTM ignitions, starting with what the factory used to what is available for use today.

Lunch will be provided by Buehner Supply, thanks Al and Dale...

Please feel free to bring your Penton or Pentons along for display.

Thank you Kip, Forest and Dane for being so gracious with your time and talents.

Thanks also to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum and it's staff for allowing us to use their facility.

If you wish to see what this event looks like follow this link to view a collection of photos taken by Bill Smith.
http://www.pentonusa.org/GalleryServerPro/default.aspx?aid=17

Hope to see you there.
Paul

David Laite

Paul I may take this one in; and it's only 12 short hours away. Thanks for the post.

1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

marsattacks

Sounds great. I will be there weather permitting.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Dale Fisher

David the meeting at the AMA Museum is in February.
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

desmond197

Are you guys going to video this presentation? It would be great to have this and a Sachs rebuild video available

garrettccovington

Desmond's got the right idea. A video would be priceless for  people like me that live in the middle of nowhere.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

chicagojerry

unfortunately, the timing for me to make this won't work out.  :(
i would love to be there but i'll be on vacation in hawaii with my lovely wife.[8D]
its sounds like one of the best events at the museum to date.  
 chi jer

Kip Kern

Glad to be of service, the more people learn about the KTM engines, the easier it is for them to enjoy the Pentons, and the more Pentons we bring back to life!  
I was planning on bringing a 250cc engine for the demo, possibly 2 so the entire contents can be viewed and we can then reassemble a complete bottom so everyone can get a pretty good feel in case they would like to rebuild their own engine. Paul, I don't think Forest is going to be able to make it:( as he has another Dealer Show to attend (V Twin) but I will pick his brain prior to coming and have some crank and cylinder info to share.  
Anyone have any specifics they wish to cover?  I plan on going over the entire engine but may miss something.  The basic goal at the end of the day is for everyone in attendance to feel pretty comfortable about working on or rebuilding their own engine.  I will be covering KTM engines from 1971 to 1978 as they are all pretty much the same.  Prior to the class, if you have one, review the Penton Shop manual pertaining to the 175/250/400 engines and write down any questions.  I don't know everything, but I am sure there will be someone in attendance who can help out if we get stuck!;)

Lew Mayer

I would think a major part is setting crankshaft end play.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

iyaoyas

Hi Paul - Given the time constraints allowed by the Museum is there any chance the Sach's engine will be discussed during this event?

Thanks!

Stephen

Lloyd Boland

If someone videos it, count me in to purchase a copy if it is at all reasonable. (I have the manual but any additional tips are always helpful.)  I think my MC5 is going to need an overhaul this year or next.  6 years of racing (8-10 events a year) without anything other than oil changes, plugs and clean air filter.  (Knock on wood.)

tmc3c

Boy talk about timing! My 250 is sittin on the stand cause the motor needs work! I might have to buy the video though:(

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Paul Danik

We do video tape these meetings and will have to view the captured video to see if we can provide a "how to" video from this meeting.  

The main focus of this meeting is the KTM engine and the ignitions, with that being said I am sure that if Sachs engine questions are asked that they will be addressed as well.

Thanks for all of the input...

Kip,

My question for Forest concerns what he feels is the proper piston to wall clearance for the 100, 125, 175, 250 and 400 engines when fitting a top quality piston into a fresh properly bored cylinder?

Thanks
Paul

Kip Kern

Paul  He (Forest) usually bores all my cylinders at .003 clearance, unless I have an old Wiseco and then we go at .004 plus as they (pistons) expand very quickly. I'll recheck this info with him.

cubfan1968

I really wish I was closer this would be an event I would really enjoy. I could learn alot. I posted an idea a few years ago about having a weekend long clinic dealing with this kind of thing. I sure the guys like myself would not mind paying a fee to have the opportunity to learn from some of the best.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)