Lectron Carb

Started by Steve Minor, February 06, 2010, 08:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I'm considering a Lectron carb for a 1977 125gs6 project and have a few questions.....
(1) I currently have a Lectron 32mm on the shelf...Is this size suitable for the 125? and
(2) It's not a power jet carb...Any problems there?

All opinions are appreciated.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

G Ellis

Steve that 32mm would be a good start. I would put a 4-1 metering rod in it. Later Gary

john durrill

Steve ,
 The power jet just helps you jet the second half ( first # examp. 4/1 the #4 ) of the needle, with out having to take the slide out to adjust for mid range to top end. Also saves you having to buy more needles. I think it covers about 10 needle sizes with in the jetting range.
  Speedy could tell you much more on that.
 You can probably add it to your 32 if you want too. We did that to a 32 we have on one of the bikes. We got the 32 off ebay and modified it for the power jet way cheaper than buy a new carb.
 Later we had Lectron install the parts to make it an adjustable ,It uses something like an idle mixture screw on standard Mikunis. That made things even easier when jetting.

Steve Minor

Gary...John...Thank you both. This is the info I needed. I'm trying to put a ride together for New Blaine in the fall.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

G Ellis

Steve if you are going to ride AHRMA, a power jet is not legal.You can ride the Historic class with this set up. In 1977 Lectrons came on the GS6 bikes. Hope this will help later Gary

Steve Minor

Gary....Glad you added that comment. It may be a deciding factor.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Merlin

The following is straight off of the AHRMA website post vintage rule book, it does not prohibit "power jets".

d) CARBURETORS: Period-type carburetors are strongly encouraged. Period flat-slide
carbs are allowed on Historic and Gran Prix class motorcycles. Examples include
Lake, Lectron, Poso and other period-type flat slides. Active accelerator pump
equipped carburetors are allowed only on Ultima class motorcycles; all others must
be disconnected or removed, even if OEM equipped. Dell'Orto accelerator pump
carburetors are allowed in the Historic and Gran Prix classes only if the accelerator
pump mechanism is disconnected or removed. Period flat slide Mikuni carburetors
are allowed only on Ultima class motorcycles. Keihin flat slide carburetors are not
permitted. No modern D-shape slide or similar equivalent carburetors are allowed in
AHRMA Post-Vintage off-road competition.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

john durrill

Steve,
 The Lectron power jet is not an " active type "
It works off engine vacuum . No different than using the choke on a 27 mm Bing on our 100/ 125 Sachs Pentons in a long straight. Just a lot more precise in metering.
  It saves you a lot of money in needles if your starting from scratch on a carb, engine combo.
If you decide to go this route check with Teddy or Speedy. You would need a " short nozzel " for a piston port motor most probably.
 You can cut a long nozzel down if needed. Some where we have the measurement written down for that.
  The adjustable type power jet was Lectrons second design and uses a tapered screw  ( like a Bings Idle mixture screw )instead of just a fixed jet to adjust mixture. It IS !!! the Cats Meow for tuning the first # on a needle. 1 full turn = about 10 or more of the " fixed power jet" sizes.
You can turn the screw with your fingers with the carb in place , no tools required chuckle chuckle!!!
john d.

Steve Minor

John....Thanks for your knowledge and input. This is a project bike I picked up a few years ago that I'm just now getting around to. Like I mentioned, it's a 77' 125gs6. When I picked it up, it had a non power-jet Lectron on it but, the carb body was trashed beyond repair. I recently picked up a non power-jet 32mm Lectron on eBay that I plan to use. The motor is a fresh .60 over rebuild, so with the new/used Lectron I have some sorting out to do. I don't compete anymore so I'm thinking this might be my new ISDT-RR bike....that is if the little 125 can haul my big old butt around.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Merlin

Quotequote:Originally posted by G Ellis

Steve if you are going to ride AHRMA, a power jet is not legal.You can ride the Historic class with this set up. In 1977 Lectrons came on the GS6 bikes. Hope this will help later Gary

Just for the record accelerator pumps are not power jets, the main difference is squirt vs suck.

Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Britt Boyette

Quotequote:Originally posted by G Ellis

Steve that 32mm would be a good start. I would put a 4-1 metering rod in it. Later Gary

Gary, I'm still trying to find your email address so we can chat about the Lectron. Can you email me at [email protected] ?

Britt Boyette
1976 125 MC5
1975 250 HS
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys