PVL ignition

Started by Bob Marsh, March 12, 2010, 11:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Marsh

Anyone know the specifics of these units. I just got a maico 440 with a pvl ignition that was not that old and the bike died on the guy and now no spark.. Can the motoplat guy fix these too?  Thanks

Steve Minor

Contact Dane at Penton Racing Products....he's the pro. His contact info is in the supplier's section on the home page

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Merlin

Do yourself a favor and put the point ignition back on it.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Bob Marsh

Merlin, Are the pvl's unreliable?? I was thinking they were great-just an isolated incident here...I hope not, I just ordered a complete new system(249.00 for it-so that was CHEAP), and thanks steve I will see if he can fix this system I have,...

TGTech

Bob,

If the PVL system went down, there are a couple things that could be checked. There is a ground path between the spark plug to the coil/CDI. The engine to the frame, should be bare metal. If there is powder coating or paint on the frame and the engine cases, there is not properly grounding. If there is rust on the frame between the engine mount and corrosion on the cases, then the ground is not properly.

Check to make sure that there is no rust or paint on the coil/CDI mounting, that is not a good ground.

Pull the plastic covers back on the stator connections, and make sure that the female spaces are tight. If they are loose, it can a problem to between the stator to the coil/CDI.

Over time, the spark plug cap can create some corrosion between the wire and the cap. Remove the cap from the wire, cut the wire about 1/4" and reinstall the cap.

There can be a resistor testing of the stator. The Ohms between the two stator wires, should be 225 to 230.

If you go through all of these items and the system doesn't work, I would suggest that you send the stator and the coil/CDI to our shop and I'll be put the system on the test bench to see if the parts are not working.

Dane

Bob Marsh

Ok, just checked it out and excellent grounds everywhere(this bike was owned by an anal retentive professional-Jake De Boe-if anybody knows him), and everything was done perfectly. Anyway the stator checks out on resistance as does the coil, and I have a coil tester and the coil sparks good, so I believe it is the little cdi box...any ideas on price and supply?? Thanks

Merlin

Hi Bob, I'll say all of my bikes (Maico)use  points, if I could convert the rest of the stable to points I would.

Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

TGTech

Bob,

The price for testing is $34 and cost for shipping.

Dane

Larry Perkins

PVL ignitions are totally reliable.  I have used many and sold plenty over the years and never had a problem-knock on wood.  I find they start easier, run better, and last longer term than the Motoplat most of these Pentons came with.  Personally, I believe points are ancient from the last century and often see people at the track with a points bike on its side doing some filing or adjusting of the gap.  Then there is the condensor that can go poof at a moments notice.  I don't think the PVL is really a problem and on this one there is either a lack of ground contact somewhere or this is a rare isolated incident.  That is my spin.

Larry P

Britt Boyette

Could it be the kill switch?

Britt Boyette
1976 125 MC5
1975 250 HS
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

Bob Marsh

First thing was to unplug kill switch to see if it was going to ground-still no spark, tried different spark plug cap and a different plug that was a known good plug-sparks in another bike, still no spark, tested stator and coil with ohm meter-right in range, tested coil with coil tester-sparks very nice..This is a system that has about 4 hours running time from new-still looks brand new on all parts. Excellent grounds to cases, and frame-was working perfect and just died during the middle of a moto..

Britt Boyette

Do PVL's come with a warranty?

Britt Boyette
1976 125 MC5
1975 250 HS
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

Joe Murphy

I hope so. Gary Ellis is fixing one of my bikes that I thought I seized.. It was a magnet that came off of a PVL that only had about 10 hours on it.  I hope Dane will warranty it.
Joe Murphy