Neck Brace recommendations

Started by tooclose racing, April 17, 2010, 03:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Okay team...I realized that I really don't know what I want when it comes to a neck brace, so thought I would check in with the current experience base.  Leatt, EVS, Alpinestar, Neck Roll?  

Of course I'm a cheapo when it comes to this stuff, but I'm listening.  And I also think it is important that I have good side-to-side (as in turning my head..) flexibility for my CC endeavors.  Or maybe it doesn't matter - CC Rider(s) please chime in.

Who's got what, and how does it work?

Thanks for a response. [8D]

brian kirby

I bought my Leatt in January of '08 and I have not ridden without it since. I rode less than 5 minutes before I forgot it was even there, now I feel naked on the bike without it on. I have had two crashes since I bought it that I am 100% sure it saved me from injury. One I landed on my head, and the brace transferred so much force into my chest (which is exactly what it is supposed to do) that I had a huge bruise but my neck was not even sore. I believe in the function of these devices without any reservation.

My Cousin Jeff on the right has the EVS. He likes it, but I tried it on and I dont think it will do much in a crash.

As for CC use, the only time I ever notice it is there is when I am going down a steep hill and I have to look up at the next side, the rear of my helmet will hit the rear "shelf" on the brace and limit movement, but it not a deal killer because it happens so rarely. I have no problem turning my head side to side at all, but I am considering getting the new A-Stars SB because I have heard it allows the helmet to move a little farther rearward before it hits the rear "shelf".

As for which brace, I would not recommend a neck roll or the EVS which is nothing but a glorified expensive neck roll. I have read studies that neck rolls may actually increase the chance of neck injuries because it causes the neck to bend in an unnatural way. I recommend either the Leatt or the A-Stars. I have the Club model Leatt which at $400 was the cheapest one they had at the time, but now both Leatt with the Adventure ($225ish) and A-Stars with the Bionic SB ($289ish) have braces for less. Ernie and Christopher have the Adventure and it is functionally identical to my more expensive Club model, the only difference is mine is more adjustable and has removable washable pads where the Adventure has non-removable close cell foam.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

tooclose racing

Do you ever wear a chest protector with your brace and if so - how does that work?

Appreciate your input, BK.  [:p]

brian kirby

No, I should wear a chest protector but I've never worn one, I guess its one of those silly "I'm gonna be a tough guy and not wear one" things. Sixsixone has a new model called the Rouge that I am looking at.

http://www.btosports.com/p/661ROGUE2010

It has a removeable piece for the front of the Leatt and the shoulder peices are soft so they fit better. You can also wear it under or over your jersey.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

marsattacks

As a casual rider the cost of a brace has been a little off putting but those seem reasonable and of course I'd prob stand to benefit plenty (hi frequency of low-speed crashes). SixSixOne body armor/suits come up on Sierratradingpost pretty cheaply and are sometimes subject to a true discount of up to 35%) via all sorts of confusing, never-ending email specials. Strictly speaking, the stuff they have is mtb/bmx but the suit I have is fairly comfortable, plenty rugged, and if you have been to a gravity park lately you know those guys get launched pretty severely at times.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/66974,,_Six-Six-One-Pressure-Suit-for-Men.html
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Rain Man

I use a six six one neck roll and it fits all my gear except my winter riding gear and ballistic jersy.  (collar on jak)
The way I see it with the money I have invested in my neck.. ITS BETTER THAN NOTHING.  It comes apart so you can wash it occasionally.  
I've crashed with it and even though its cheap armour, it still prevents you from over extending your neck , forward or back.  And thats what I don't need to do.
2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
I think EVS might also make a chest protector with an integrated neck brace similar to the Rogue. Last weekend I rode with a guy who was wearing one but I forgot to ask him about it. I'll contact him tomorrow and get some more info about that one because I did not see it listed on the EVS website.
Dave McCullough

garrettccovington

I'm glad this topic came up.  On my posting "Who say's they don't fly" on 3/27/10 I have a pic of me jumping my 6-Day.  This was my 1st time riding a dirt bike in 20 years, now I weigh 60 lbs more than I did when the last time I rode my 6-day.  I had my Full face street bike helmet and gloves, levi's and a sweat shirt on.  Like I stated in the post the rear was great, but when that front end hit. It knocked the helmet down so hard I thought I broke my neck.  I instantly thought about a neck brace and proper riding gear.  One of my buddies was killed a couple of weeks ago riding his Ducati in a single vehicle freak accident on the 405 freeway and he broke his neck.  Now I have all the proper riding gear and am looking at a leatt.  Thanks for the info.

g

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

tomale

Interesting topic, It has been 18 months since I rode with any frequency, and as I begin to think of riding again, this is one of the questions that has been on my mind.. I ride with a 661 pressure suit which I really like but have wondered if it would work well with neck brace. I really do not like the idea of replacing my pressure suit, the reality is or at least it has been my experience that the standard works well at deflecting rocks and such but does nothing to save the shoulders, this the pressure suit does a much better job at. So I am thinking I need to find a neck brace that will work with the suit I already have....Maybe the A star... looking forward to what other have to say about the subject....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Charles Gresham

The EVS has an attachment device that comes with the unit which allows the chest protector to be affixed directly to the front straps.. I used my EVS for first time at DD's and do not have any complaints on the fit or mobility..

1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180
1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180

rob w

I JUST KNEW IT . Wearing a neck brace while riding a motorcycle has proven to do more BAD, than good. ! !

brian kirby

Where did you read that?

Brian
Brian

dennis foley

bob, i just started using one this season, leatt gpx race,i felt alittle off at first but by time practice was over i didnt even know it was on.i wont go with out.

dennis foley

bob, you can check with joe sephton.remember his little incident at lawton. he hit so hard it broke this neck brace. he was wearing a astar. it hit his throat, he wasnt able to talk for a week. he will buy another one but he is going to leatt because of comfort. i also am using a chest protector, a fox pro frame which is made to go with neck braces. in order to keep the wife happy i wear protection she is not a fan of following the ambulance, did it once and she doesnt want to do it again.

tooclose racing

Here's MY update - I ended up buying the EVS brace and a "low profile" Fly Racing chest protector similar to the one in Brian's post - I wear it under my jersey with the EVS brace:

http://www.btosports.com/p/EVS-2012-RFOUR-NECK-BRACE

http://www.btosports.com/p/FLYPIVOTAL

But here's the catch - I have only worn my brace and chest protector when racing MX.  I haven't worn them in the woods.  I still wear my THOR (outer) chest protector in XC. Two (probably not very good) reasons - 1) I get a little freaked out by the neck brace's more limited up/down movement, and 2) in summer weather/races the "under" jersey chest protector is warm - by it's design you tend to run it pretty snug.  In the scheme of things, I probably need to get over it and give the combo a chance in the woods, but I do think an argument can be made that it's lower risk running betweent the trees and rocks - not to crash, just not to crash hard. I'm not that fast.  :)

I think my "combo" works pretty great on the MX track.   Except that I take on a bit of a Pillsbury dough boy look with the chest protector under my jersey.  [:I]  Okay FINE, I take on MORE of a Pillsbury dough boy look!