Sell vs Restore

Started by chad stegall, May 19, 2010, 01:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chad stegall

I have a bike I think is 1968 Birkshire vin are V858 and 5497348.  Anyone know much about this vins value or how rare it is.  It is complete and ran as of 10 years ago when it was but in the barn.Everything is in good condition except the tank would need a lot of work because of pinholes.  If there is interest I might part it out.

thrownchain

DO NOT PART IT OUT. Complete early Pentons are hard to find. You should have no problems finding a buyer as long as the price is fair. Or restore it and have a very nice bike.

3putt

Pleased that you cared enough about the bike to join the POG, and WELCOME !!    A second opinion, PLEASE DO NOT PART IT OUT.   Let the members here know where you are located, and I'm sure there will be someone in your part of the country with interest to buy at a fair price.  Provide us with that information and a method to contact you.  Best Wishes,   Nelson McCullough

linglewn

A third opinion, and I suspect you could get hundreds more, PLEASE DO NOT PART IT OUT! If you have any interest in restorations, you will be amazed at how much you will learn about the bike and the people who built and rode them by restoring it. If you have no interest, then please give someone that does an opportunity to reep the benefits of bringing this machine back to life. Good luck.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

chad stegall

The bike is in southeast Iowa and it was my dads first "real"dirtbike. I'll try to get some pictures in a few weeks when I visit.  I found this site becasue I started to restore some of our other bikes and saw this is a rare jem. I even found the original metal fenders in mint condition that he had stored because when racing he had used plastic aftermarket fenders on it.Wether I restore or sell it as is would love a little history on vins around the same time so I know what I have.  If I read it right the v858 means it was the 858th made or something like that and then I don't know about the 5497348. Can anyone tell from that if it is a 68.  I also thought it was a 100cc but I'm not sure there either. When my dad gets back from Florida(snowbird)he says he can even find the title so that might give more answers also.

3putt

Hi Chad,  Your correct about the frame serial designating production order.  That serial was a 68 model from old POG info I have retained, and the 7 digit number is likely the engine serial taken off a tag placed on the ignition side cover.   That same tag will tell you the displacement in cc's.  Best Wishes, and anxious to see some photos of what you have.  Regards,    Nelson McCullough

rfpotter

What color is the tank?

Patrick

chad stegall

Like a redish color.The tank looks similar to the one a guy had on here a few months back that was a 79 berkshire.  This tank is not near as cherry as that one though.

thrownchain

Red tank..... 100cc?

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by chad stegall

Anyone know much about this vins value or how rare it is.......................................................
................. I might part it out.

I'm guessing you'd be happier selling - vs restoring.

Joe Murphy

Chad, Give me a call I am in Iowa City. Joe Murphy
319-351-3719  after 12 noon to 3 am.

chad stegall

I'm in Iowa City also but the bike is in Burlington which is only an hour drive.  It will be a few weeks until my dad is in the state so that's when I'll get pictures and figure out what we're doing.  Since your in Iowa City you'll be the first to know.