Rear shocks

Started by Mike Horton, July 12, 2010, 02:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

I have a 1975 JP that I trying to ressurect for a trail rider. The bike came with the shocks in the laid down position ( 13.25", top in side hole, bottom over axle). The shock appears to have a SW logo on it # D-525-3 and Monroe on the body. The bike will not be jumped, but trail ridden somewhat aggressive. One shock I think is leaking a little and action is ???. Can these be rebuilt or any suggestions ?. These days $$ is an issue. Thanks

KJDonovan

Mike,

Not sure if what you have is re-buildable, but if they are not you may want to check out http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ He sell Hagon shocks, and will build them out to your size and weight.  I put a set on my Jack Piner and have zero complaints.  Also the price was less than half of a lot of other brands out there.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

JCHubbard

Thanks for the tip Kevin.
JC Hubbard

Dwight Rudder

The best set are Works Performance shocks , especially made for bike and rider.  Second best and cheaper are Progressive suspension shocks. Formerly S&W and non rebuildable.  Some like Ohlins but they are very expensive and were not even in business back in early 70s.
Dwight

tooclose racing

I've moved to 13.5"  Works Performance shocks myself (nice!), but the first set of shocks I bought for my Six Day were the Red Wings (340 mm or 13.25" )which were more than adequate for trail riding/mild CC racing.  And they are rebuildable, which is kind of a bonus.  

Larry P.

Hello all, new member here. I'm looking to get a set of rear shocks for my 1972 Penton Berkshire. It will be used for some vintage Cross country and MX racing. Has anyone tried the Noleen shocks? I'm aware of the Works shocks also.
I contacted Progressive and they told me they don't have a shock for my bike. Appreciate any suggestions.

Doug Knight

I run Noleen's on three of my bikes. A '75 250 and a pair of Jackpiners. I have a set of Koni's that are from back then, they were an accessory item from Hi-Point. I run Progressive on a Six-Days.

All of these Penton are available as I have two hip replacements and can't afford an injury on either

Larry P.

Thanks for the reply, Doug. might go with the Noleens but I'm going to give Works a call to get a price, heard they are expensive. Wish I had the $ now, would love to take a look at your bikes. Just finished my bike's restoration.

Stuttgartautoman

Quote from: Doug Knight on May 17, 2024, 09:10:55 PMI run Noleen's on three of my bikes. A '75 250 and a pair of Jackpiners. I have a set of Koni's that are from back then, they were an accessory item from Hi-Point. I run Progressive on a Six-Days.

All of these Penton are available as I have two hip replacements and can't afford an injury on either

Doug, I have a friend in Oregon looking for a Penton. What bikes do you have for sale and how can he contact you? Thank you, Mike

Doug Knight

QuoteDoug, I have a friend in Oregon looking for a Penton. What bikes do you have for sale and how can he contact you? Thank you, Mike

Doug 406-916-88sixthree
'75 250
2 175 Jackpiners '72 & '73
2 200 Jackpiners '97 1/2
'73 125

Stuttgartautoman

Quote from: Doug Knight on May 23, 2024, 08:27:11 PM
QuoteDoug, I have a friend in Oregon looking for a Penton. What bikes do you have for sale and how can he contact you? Thank you, Mike

Doug 406-916-88sixthree
'75 250
2 175 Jackpiners '72 & '73
2 200 Jackpiners '97 1/2
'73 125

Thank you Doug I will pass your contact info to him. We are in Oregon.

Kip Kern

Hagon shocks are nice, also Vonkat, ebay are great

Rain Man

I have 13" Progressive for my 73 Piner and WP on my 76 250 MC5. The progressives are cheaper and designed for Vintage Bikes. The WP are "ready to race" and more money. Both shocks work well!
Raymond
 Down East Pentons