Right side case protector--picture added!

Started by marsattacks, July 13, 2010, 10:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

This is frivolous of course but if anyone has a right[/i] side case protector for 72-73 frames and willing to sell (or trade for item of like rarity) I'd be grateful to know it. You can email if you wish at my screen name +79 @gmail.com. Not a necessity by any stretch just for fun. I will post a pic if I can find one.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

joe novak

Hello.  Are you asking for the curved protector for the ignition cover which wraps around the countershaft sprocket?  If so, Al B. has them at a very reasonable price.  Look up his site from the POG site.  They really do save the cases from serious damage.  I can't remember prices of all items, but I think the price was under $20.   Joe

marsattacks

Joe, I really appreciate the response and can see now where I have misled you.  I am talking about the bent chromoly/steel wire guard that runs outside the ignition case. This is a pretty rare item that I have never seen in the wild but have seen photos on black case Jackpiners and Harescramblers.  I am pretty sure these were Hi-Point accessories.  They are different from the left side protectors (I think) in that they don't run through as a long engine mounting stud, like the left side ones do. They are on the outside of the case, as you can see.  I'm not sure what the proper terminology is so that is why I called them a "case protector".

Here is a picture:

Again, many thanks for the reply.  Best, John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

Larry Perkins

John,

They are called engine guards I believe.  I have what I think is a right one but the lower mount does have a engine bolt built in.  It is shaped like the one in the pic and only looks to fit the right side.

Larry P

marsattacks

Hey Larry, No. 1 -- congrats on your wins.  That blue 175 was put to good use.  Wish I could have met you when I was there but basically had a wife-imposed 4 hours "on the ground" and there was lots to see before scrambling back home.  Regards, John
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

thrownchain

They pop up once in a while on E bay, but you gotta be quick and have a deep wallet. I've bid on a couple, and had to let it go when the price got too high.

Larry Perkins

John,

Sorry we did not get to meet.  Also sorry you did not have more than 4 hours to soak in VMD.  E-mail me at [email protected] and make me an offer or tell me some cool trade thing.

Larry P

Lew Mayer

Not bein' smart here but isn't that just a left side protector installed on the right side?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Lew Mayer

Nah, I see the difference now.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

gooddirt

I have them with or without the two sided threaded blot. LG

Dave Mitchell

They are an easy fab.Built my first set for my steel tanker at 14 in my dads shop.Never did have a lot of extra $
Dave

linglewn

I think Lew's first comment was correct. Without making a side-by-side comparison, the only possible difference that I can see is that the left side protector on my '73 has the tab for the upper front engine mount welded on at a slightly different angle. The parts manual that I have only shows a left side "protector bar." It makes sence in that a hole in the left side would drain the gearbox. I suspect someone just installed the bar on the wrong side.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

marsattacks

You are starting to make me wonder if I really need my full set of left-handed screwdrivers to go along with my right-handed set. Maybe I'll sell a few.
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

G Ellis

I do believe that penton didn't make a right sight case protector. The only reason they made a left one is because of the 175 black motor cases. In 1974 the cases on the clutch side was reworked. I have not come across a right side cases saver. Later Gary

marsattacks

If anyone has the VMX magazine with the 73 250 Harescrambler (gold tank) they will see a "right" side protector but I gave my copy away 2 years ago so can't check to see if it is simply an upside-down left one. Somebody told me once that they were a proper Hi-Point accessory so maybe a catalogue will solve the mystery or reveal my foolishness. I'm ok with either outcome. Let me go and find my steam bucket and 10ft of fallopian tube.
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike