KTM 420 racestoration finshed!

Started by sachsmx, July 26, 2010, 09:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

See more pics at:
http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/markincanton/KTM%20420/
After a 10 year process, my 1980 KTM 420 is finally complete.[:p] All of the alloy parts have been polished. Every part had been either polished, painted, or powdercoated. The engine is alomost all new including NOS cases. Stock pipe has been Jet Hot ceramic coated. The list of new or NOS parts is too long to list here.

chicagojerry

wheweee. that baby looks good! [8D] nice job.  chi jer

joe novak

WOW!  Absolutely an amazing restoration on that KTM 420.  Ceramic exhaust coating is a great process for performance enhancement, looks, and preserving old parts.   Thank you for posting the photos.  Joe

Ernie Phillips

Lukin' gud!  -EP

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Mick Milakovic

Nothing like a brand-new, 30-year old bike!  Great job!

Mick
Mick

thrownchain

Tooooo nice to dirty up...... is that a chrome chain???

Big Mac

Verrry nice. Lots of hard work that shows.

Are the sidecovers NOS for '80 with the vent holes? I have original sides on my '79 which have no vents. The red-white-blue KTM decal from Tom Brosius? Would like to see your silencer set up.

My '79 420 is about the most fun and easiest to ride of all old bikes I've owned, handles closest to best and super powerband and suspension.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

sachsmx

Thanks [:I] The side panels are DC Plastics 1980 items that I carefully cut out the slots. That was one of the easier jobs. All of the plastic is from DC except for the NOS Hi-Point front fender. Yes, its a chrome chain that I thought would top it off. If I were going to race the bike I'd put on a Regina gold chain. With the 530 sprockets I can't use an o-ring chain as originally planned. The silencer is an NOS Richter that was reworked slightly to fit (the stinger ID was opened up .030" to fit the pipe) and then polished. The pegs are widened and nickel plated. The brake pedal pivots on dual roller bearings instead of the stock bushing. I hope to have more pictures posted to my Photobucket site by the weekend.

SouthRider

Sweet !!!

Very nice work - Congratulations.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Gordon Brennan

WOW. That is a beautiful restore. I hope you do ride it though.