Wanted: Penton100-125 MX tank

Started by pakala, August 15, 2010, 10:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pakala

I am looking for a small MX tank that is in good solid shape. Have lots of neat Penton,sachs,DKW stuff to trade or will pay cash.
         Thanks, Paul(socal)714-743-0236

ddavis

Paul, I shipped the tank today.

Thanks, Dean

pakala

Dean,
Did you happen to remember to send along a copy of the Dirt Rider Mag article about the FMF Penda? The one you emailed had alot of the story cut off. I showed the pic of Donnie Elmer and Dave Miller hanging out next to ther orig Penda to Dave Miller and he laughed and said wish I still had all that hair;)
 After my Penda is complete it would be great to recapturem that photo 36 years later with Donnie & Dave......
          Thanks, Paul(socal)

sixdazed

Hi Paul,Is Dave building the bike for you?How about some pics during the build.Would love to see the work in progress.
                                       Take Care,
                                                  Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

ddavis

pakala

Ric,
Yep, Dave is building it. He built a early 74'Penda (like in the pic) for the Primm museum. Mine will be the later 75' style with the up pipe.

sixdazed

Sounds cool Paul.Neat picture too!Please post some pics of it when done and/or in progress.Thanks,
                                    Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

joe novak

Can you West Coast riders give us East Coast riders some idea which components of each bike was used in the build.  Which Penton and year, and which Honda and year....  I'm not going to build one, I just want to know what you are going to build, and what was built years ago.  On the East Coast, we are more interested in building Sachs 175's using a Sachs bottom end and a KTM top end; or installing a Sachs engine in a KTM frame.  Thank you,  joe

pakala

Update:Dave Miller/FMF Penda slowly takes shape. Bike has been at Race Tech for the last months getting suspension built. Should be ready for the 2011 season.
 Paul (socal) Sorry about the crappy pic. Mo better next time:-)

joe novak

I can see that the rear engine mount was likely one of the bigger challenges in the build.  Shortened rear fender hoop...  Upper rear shock mount, Honda forks?   Did you use the stock rear wheel?  Really nice project.  Joe

sixdazed

Looking Good Paul,You must be licking your chops to get on it and go.
Nice bike.
         Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

rob w

NICE ! To me, the coolest and greatest part of it all, is the man that's building it. Like original art vs. reproduction art. A Penda from the hands of Dave Miller is pretty dang special indeed. Should do doubt work great as well. Lucky you Paul. What kind of HP are we talking there ?  Is the balding gentleman in the 2nd pic, the same long-haired hippie in the first ? Thanks for sharing.
Bob

Richard

I think that's Donnie Elmer of FMF holding the bike.

pakala

Bob,
 Yes, That's Dave Miller 35 years later in the 2nd pic. He bounce in behind the bike to grab a tool just as I took the pic, that why he is blury. The motor is starting out mild.. cleaned up ports,32 mikuni and the capybara pipe.
    Paul(socal)

NICE ! To me, the coolest and greatest part of it all, is the man that's building it. Like original art vs. reproduction art. A Penda from the hands of Dave Miller is pretty dang special indeed. Should do doubt work great as well. Lucky you Paul. What kind of HP are we talking there ?  Is the balding gentleman in the 2nd pic, the same long-haired hippie in the first ? Thanks for sharing.
Bob

[/quote]

pakala

Joe,
 When it come to fabing one off parts that is where Dave Miller shines. Then he can take it to the track and rail berms at great speed. You are not supposed to be able to do both!
 Going with 75 1/2 Suzuki RM125 front end reworked by race tech, 125 elsinore rear wheel, race tech shocks.DC plastics. Also working with Evan Wilcox on beating a Penton small mx tank out of aluminum.

Paul(socal)

I can see that the rear engine mount was likely one of the bigger challenges in the build.  Shortened rear fender hoop...  Upper rear shock mount, Honda forks?   Did you use the stock rear wheel?  Really nice project.  Joe
[/quote]