Time Machine

Started by tomale, August 15, 2010, 11:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

In may of this year, I became the proud owner of a 72' cr 125 yes a husky... It had belonged to a friend of my brothers and He really wanted me to have it so we struck a deal and I brought it home... It looks like it could be ridden just the way it sat and I was pretty confindent that it would not take much to get it that way... The piston was stuck from sitting for 36 years.. but everything else looked great. I finally got around to getting it on the work table and I began to explore.. It is unreal how nice this bike is... The tires are more than likely the stock one and they looked like they had hardly been used. I pulled the wheels and there was no brake dust or if there was it was too little to even be detected...The Tank looks perfect... It even has to little sticker on the top of the tank... Then I pulled off the Mag cover and to my surprise, It looked nearly new... It still had the shine to it... Now I know the history of this bike and I know that there has only been one owner before me, sot the ignitions is stock... I felt odd like I was not suppose to be looking inside... It was like I had been transported back to 1972 and I was pulling the cover off for the first time... I think maybe I did only 36 years after the fact.. so what to do, Well I have to pull it down and clean it up, It will need new seals and gaskets and a new ring... but the bore is still tight so a quick hone and it will be good to go,, Now I am way too big to race this in the 125 expert class,,Ok I am loosing weight but I would have to get down to 150 or so pounds and that is just not possible, even my doctors would say that is way too much.. But I got to thinking that this is just too rare just to let some kid trash it and I will not sell it because the previous owner wanted me to keep it.. So here is my idea, from time to time, I have shown a couple of my bikes at Nationals and such,,, I think it would be cool to take the bike and show it off and tell the story... Oh I might take it to the races and putt around between moto's but mostly so that it does not get stuck in a corner once more and dry up....If I really get brave and the right kid comes along I might let them race it a time or two, I have done that before...I love seeing new people get hook on this wonderful thing called Vintage racing...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mick Milakovic

Hi Tom, I think you have a great perspective on preserving a nice piece of history.  Write a story, take some pictures and make a disply of your bike.  I did the same thing with my '78 Husky that I bought brand new in 78.  I have pictures from the day, pictures from now, and a brief history of the "OR" design.  I finished it this summer and showed it at VMD for the first time.  I too will putt around on it, but it's racing days are over.  Enjoy your project, there aren't many like it anymore!

Mick
Mick

SouthRider

Thom, Great story - DO IT!

Since I shattered my hip last year I have given up racing again, but plan to attend the reunion ride this fall to display my Berkshire & my 83 Husky 250 XC. Likewise - I will ride them around the pits a little.

Mick - I didn't know you were once a HUSKY MAN. Your OR is beautiful. In 78 I was racing a 250 CR for my first year in the A class.

Hope to see Y'all in Combs.

Clark

1979 SERA Louisiana State Champ
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax