Silver Painted Spokes

Started by Keith Meatyard, August 18, 2010, 08:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

From what I've read, and been told, the 72-73 JP's that I want to restore had silver painted spokes and nipples.  If the spokes have just surface rust, I'm thinking just glass bead them clean, then prime, paint, and bake on some bright silver.  Anybody tried this vs expensive SS or chrome plated?  Any good suggestions on paint that looks right?

Thanks,

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Kip Kern

Good luck lacing the wheel after painting the spokes.  I just Zinc plate the spokes and nipples and call it good. ;)

Gordon Brennan

Kip, Did you have the spokes zinc plated or did you do it yourself with one of the platers you see in catalogs?
If the latter, which one did you use and how did it work out?
Gordon

joe novak

Kip,  I take it you are referring to threading the nipples on the spokes after they have been painted might cause an interference fit?   Does zinc plating the spokes work like new spokes?  How do you prep the rusted spokes and nipples to be plated?  P.S, There is an old Husky on Cleveland, Ohio Craigslist for about $800 and running I think.  About a 78 250cc model.  joe

Kip Kern

Nipples aren't painted, they are plated, spokes are painted only (I still don't do it).  I use a plating service, the kit plating doesn't last very long and is too much work for the money.  Kinda like powder coating at home.  Huge mess and costly, pay someone to do a nice job!  Most Zinc for an entire bike is around $50  Powder coating shock springs runs around $20 a pair