Rear Inner Tube (dumb question)

Started by garrettccovington, August 22, 2010, 01:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrettccovington

This is gonna be a dumb one. (I did a search 1st)

In all my years of riding, I have never pulled the valve stem out of a rear inner tube.  I've always left the valve stem nut loose to allow for some play, if the rear tire does slip on the rim locks.  This is what I'm supposed to do,,,right???

I'm pretty proud of myself this morning.  I haven't changed a tire in 40 years and it took me 20 minutes start to finish.  I even used my old BMW GS tire irons.  The dealer wanted $50.00 on top of buying a new tire and tube.  So I just bought the tube and went home.  I figured I did it when I was a kid, I could do it again.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Lew Mayer

I always leave the valve stem loose just for the reason you said. I've gone so far as to file the hole in an oval so the tube wouldn't tear.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Lloyd Boland

Leave the nut loose.  I actually run it up to the valve stem cap and use it to cinch down the cap so it does vibrate loose.  If the stem starts to move, then you know you have a wheel lock issue.

garrettccovington

I did exactly what Lloyd recomended.  Hopefully it will stay together for this weekends race.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Jim Dale

Not a dumb question at all. I have always tightened my stem nut, using only one of the two nuts provided. Maybe the reason that most tubes have two nuts is so that they can be locked together, but spaced away from the rim to allow movement, as you have suggested.

My concern would be that if the tire does slip, is it not likely that it would slip more than a small amount, thus nullifying the benefit of having some play in the stem?  Maybe if you do not have beadlocks, leaving some play for the stem is a good idea.

Anyone ever had a stem failure that might shed some light on this issue?
Jim