Sachs main bearings

Started by imported_n/a, March 04, 2002, 01:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I went down to my local bearing house today to order bearings for a Sachs engine.  My parts book calls for M20 DIN 615 mains.  Well, the M20 that I was shown had plastic cages for the balls to ride in.  I was of the understanding that the cages should be steel or brass.  Is the use of plastic an improvement on the old bearings or a disaster waiting for a place to happen?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Glenn

Don Roth

Glen..
My OEM  bearings (125/B6) have the same
plastic cage of which you speak, I assume
that they are better, but you know what happens when you assume......

Doug Wilford

You are fortunate your bearing house had the bearings.   The plastic cage is fine the balls won't know the difference.  The bearing company knows this is what they call a magneto bearing and everything will be okay.

imported_n/a

Don and Doug, thank you very much for your help.  POG rules!!

imported_n/a

In thinking about it, is the M20 Sachs main bearing the same or interchangable with the M20R40/55SV6 that is specified for the small-journal Jackpiner main bearings?  My bearing house couldn't find the latter bearing in their catalogs.

Doug Wilford

Really don't know about interchanging those bearings, the book calls the 175 a shouldered bearing..  I think you need someone who can decifer those other numbers.  or compare the two to see where the differences are.

imported_n/a

Thanks, Doug.  I'll do some more homework.

Glenn