New England Vintage Trials Championship

Started by Gordon Brennan, September 17, 2010, 07:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Brennan

Hope you folks don't mind me posting this here. I will be competing on my Penton Trials bike, that you may have seen on the New England Trials web site or at Mid Ohio.
If you're interested I will let you know how the event was and how the Penton made out. Of course it won't be as good as tooclose's race reports, but I will do my best.
As you will see in the text below, the first US World Round was held on this same property in 1975.

The woods of Rhode Island will come alive during the 5th Annual New England Vintage Trials Championship at the Rhode Island Trials Club facilities on Escoheag Road in Exeter, RI on Saturday September 25, 2010. The event gets more popular every year, and almost 30 riders competed on the slippery rocks in 2009. Veteran Wayne Galvin lost out in a close battle with former New England trials champion Danny Allen; both riders were on Bultaco Sherpas.
The first US round of the World Trials Championship was held at the same location in 1975, and much of the same rocky terrain will be incorporated into this year's event. The 1975 event was won by Malcolm Rathmell on a Montesa, who finished third in the world championship that year behind the Bultacos of Martin Lampkin and Yrjo Vesterinen. It was a magical time for the sport of trials, and the sport reached unparalleled popularity in both Europe and the US. The September event at Exeter will try to recreate the spirit of the period.
The event starts at 11:00am, and riders will ride eight sections over three loops of the course. Three lines will be offered in each section—an easy, beginner's line; a novice line for riders with some experience, and an expert line for the more skilled riders. Entry for the day is $30, and the entry fee includes a free event t-shirt. You must be an AMA member to ride.
Classes are offered for a variety of vintage trials bikes, but most riders compete in the Classic Twin Shock class which is open to Yamaha TY, Honda TL, and Suzuki RL trials bikes as well as the Spanish trials bikes from manufacturers like Bultaco, Montesa, and Ossa. Bikes must be fitted with trials tires to compete in the event; knobbies are not allowed. More details are available from Dave Allen at (508) 285-6074. The vintage rules are posted on the club's web site at: //www.ritrialsclub.com/vintagerules.htm. Camping is not allowed at the site of the event, but camping is available along Escoheag Road.
A modern trial will be held at the same location the following day, September 26, sanctioned by the New England Trials Association (//www.newenglandtrials.org). Vintage bikes are welcome to compete in the Vintage Twin Shock class (three lines available) and in the Beginner's class

Larry Perkins

Gordon,

Do let us know how it goes.  Always interested in seeing how Penton Brothers do in all events.

Larry P

Jeff D

I've still got some photos from that weekend.  It was a who's who of international trials talent...Lampkin, Rathmell, Bulto, Vesterinen, Coutard, etc.  Don Sweet was one of New England's top riders then on a TY250.  Very cool for a 17-yr old kid to be able to stand close enough to photograph heros like that!  Good luck and keep your feet up!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Gordon Brennan

Gordon Brennan

Well the N.E. Vintage Championship is over. The Penton got lots of attention and ran great. I came in 4th with 20 dabs, 3rd had 17, 2nd had 15 and 1st had 5. I had one stall 5 on the 1st loop do to getting wedged between two rocks and not getting to the clutch fast enough. There were 14 in my class and a total of 27 Vintage machines competed, including two Side-Car trials bikes. They had their own sections and were fun to watch. There were 8 sections and we did 3 loops. The Vintage Champion was Danny Allen, riding a Bultaco Sherpa, who also won last years event. Danny was 6 points less than 2nd place. The Championship line is the 1 line. I ride the 2 line and there is a 3 line for novice riders or historic bikes or beginers or our elders that refuse to stop competing. We had at least two riders over the age of 75. And come to think of it, one of them was riding the 2 line with me and came in 3rd with 17, Carl Swanson. Carl rides a modern bike at NETA events.
Everyone had a good time and there were plenty of beautiful vintage trials bikes to see. Some never making it to the woods, but were there for show. Hope you all can make it to a Trials event some time. It's a lot of fun for young and old.