A Riddle:
On my way to Saddleback,
I met a man with seven Sachs.
Each Sachs had seven shifts.
Each shift had seven shafts.
Each shaft had seven shims:
Shims, shafts, shifts, Sachs,
How many were going to Saddleback?

The answer is: None, all seven were stuck in neutral.

Dwight Rudder

Seven Speed Sachs were Slick Shifting, unlike
The Six speed with 12 neutrals.
Dwight

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Heinz Raidel

Tonight, Dwight is quite right. The  7 spds were a whole 'nother engine.
\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

john durrill

It sad to hear the Sachs 5 and 6 speed tranny maligned so much * GRIN *. We missed only 3 shifts on the Vinduro Ride last month in 200 miles. And i think that was because their was one muscle in my leg that refused to be worked that much. Said muscle haveing not been used in 12 years. Chuckle Chuckle. Think the three we missed were because i was very rusty and a bit out of shape at the time!
Just follow the instructions on overshift adjustment in the flyer and have good parts in the shifter. ( also the gears should be on good shape where the shift key engages the gear)
John of the 5A with 6 neutrals * sometimes *

penton117

Hi guys
Any ideas where to get this "Flyer" that John referred to? I am looking for some tips on building a slick-shifting trans for my 125. Thanks

john durrill

penton117,
I have a copy of a flyer that shows how to adjust the Sachs tranny. If you have a Shop manual from Al  or Larry I think they include a special section on the Adjustment.
You need the adjustment casting and a 10 mm wrench that has been ground down to fit.
I was able to get a complete new transmission. new gears, shafts and shifter parts. I took two months of hunting but with the help of Larry ,Al, Doug , and Skipperclyde , we were able build a new Large journal 5 /A engine, on some new engine cases we got from Germany. Doug supplied all the shifter parts  some of the new gears and the selector adjusting plate. The selector adjusting plate had a slight mod to it. Your best route would to be let Doug do the Transmission for you. Then as it wears and needs adjustment you will get the feel for how to adjust it for best results.
You need to start with a tranny that is in good enough shape that it will shift.
 We sold and  ran Penton's in the 70's so we already had some knowledge on how to set one up.
some of the gears can be turned over and re-used if they are worn and Doug will know what is useable and what needs replacing.
 You will have to learn how to shift a Sachs. That's the key. Its a bit slower and a more deliberate shift when you operate the shift lever. the only problem I have never been able to solve is a quick down shift on a steep up hill. When I loose momentum and down shift quickly I generally hit a false neutral. Its because the counter shaft and the engine are running at extremely different speeds I think. If I shift a bit slower it work's ok but sometimes you have to be quick or you end up back at the bottom making another run at the hill.
Let me  know if you are unable to find the flyers and I can make a copy of a copy ( not a good thing but better than no copy. copies of copies don't reproduce the pictures very well and they are important )
John

Edited by - John Durrill on 04/06/2002  08:27:55 AM