Desert Monkey Business

Started by Larry Perkins, December 03, 2010, 12:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

I am sitting in Vegas having just had dinner with Tom Flores and Randy Kirkbride.  Tom, Ric Emmal and I will ride our final Best In The Desert race together Saturday in the Henderson 250 which has turned into the Henderson 135 thanks to the BLM.  Randy K was gracious enough to take time and fly out to help us pit and is a blessing.  

We have had a good amount of POG support through this season but this race is a total POG affair not even counting that all 4 of us met through the POG.  First off, since we have the Championship won once we roll across the start line we decided to ride a Penton in this race.  A 1976 125GS in a modern race.  Here is all the other POG connections.  So we are on a bike fed to us by Mike Gallagher and it has a tank on it donated by Rod Gorzny who per chance also rebuilt the Zokes on the bike.  The bike sports a motor redone by Kip Kern also and numerous parts from Al Buehner of Buehner Supply.  Last but not least is that no racing plan goes out of this house without brain picking and getting the real perspective from Brother Ron Carbaugh and this Championship hunt has been no exception.

Tomorrow we will Tech in downtown Henderson, Nevada where they have blocked off several blocks so people can gawk and drool at the bikes, ATVs, UTVs, buggies, snd trucks.  Randy is going to try and get a few pics on the POG site from that and the race Saturday for those with interest.

Thanks for your support and the space to rant. We will do our best to strike another blow for the fat old guys.:D

Larry P

Rocket

Larry
I wish I new you were in Vegas, left there this afternoon at 3:00PM.
Rod

hankthecrank

ROCK ON DESERT MONKEYS! You guys have a blast and ride to finish. Thanks for being Penton ambassadors to the world. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

firstturn

Larry, Ric, Tom and Randy,
  Thanks for all you are doing and for making Penton History.  I too want to thank all the supporters and for "BIG" Mike Gallagher for his bike.  Rod, Kip and Al are all top shelf people and as it was stated so many of us met thru POG.  Have a Safe and Fun 135 Miles and thanks for all you guys have done this year when the odds were against you.
  There are a lot of riding with you on this Race.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Jeff D

Go get 'em Larry!  I bet it will be priceless to be a fly on the wall watching all the gawkers wondering "What the heck is that...a Penton?  What's that?"  Maybe you should put up a sign saying "If it wasn't for bikes like this, you all wouldn't be here!"  Good luck and happy racing!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Mark P

Good luck and Semper Primus!! Can you take some quick snap shots of the Penton in the pit/start area?

tofriedel

Larry, Tom & Ric,

Good luck to all of you.  I have been bragging about your success's back here in the east.  Desert racing doesn't get much press coverage here.

I wish I could be there to cheer you on.

God Bless all of you and be safe.

Tony
Tony

checkcrew

Hey Guys,
  glad to be part of your team, thank you very much for the kind thoughts !!

i am so proud of all 3 of you guys and Randy for taking my place, i was going to make this last race if my current medical condition didn't prevail and sideline me.

i wish all of you Monkeys and your circuis trainer [Randy][:p] the best of luck,
bring home the GOLD !!!

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Randy Kirkbride

Well, it's back to reality (work) after a great weekend with friends. Thanks to Larry, Tom, & Ric for inviting me along. My first desert race (spectator) was awesome and I had a great time. Can't wait till I can do it again. Gonna be a long day today (3 1/2 hours sleep) but it was well worth it. Pictures will be coming.

firstturn

Thanks Randy for your commitment to the Team.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Randy Kirkbride

Tom & Ric

Desert Monkeys

125 EXP

454MRW

Way to go guys! Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
75 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
74 CR250M 07 CR125R & CR150R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

firstturn

It has been a long year and you guys deserve the Championship.  It isn't easy finishing on any size bike, but a 125 is the Grand Daddy of them all to finsish on....[:p]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

checkcrew

great job guys, very proud of your accomplishments !!

i see the KTM XC150,
did you guys ride the 76 Penton GS 125 ??
are there any pics. of you guys in action on the Penton ??

i am sure everyone here would love to see the Penton in action against the modern bikes !!

let us know,

thanks again,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Larry Perkins

No Mike, we had some carb troubles with it at the higher elevation and could not get it to run right so we danced with the one that brought us, the KTM 150XC.  It is the modern version of Mr. Penton's idea, a light nimble do it all bike.  We were bummed to not get a run on the old one but it drew lots of attention and conversation with young and old alike.  

Larry P