'77 KTM MC5 Championship Posters

Started by glowride, December 11, 2010, 12:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glowride

Gentlemen,

I have attained some rare hard to find?? KTM posters of 1977 World 250 Championship winners Moiseev & Kavinov. KTM took the top 3 in the World that year with Moiseev, Kavinov & Andre Malherbe. Good year for KTM. I have listed them on ebay. Check it out. Got some other stuff listed as well. Thanx.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250740617099&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

Here is my resto project for the winter. I've had this machine for a couple 3 years now. I've put some new Unicross Metzelers on it. Want to keep the tank and side panels with there original wear and maybe just touch up the frame. Rebuild the Shocks or replace with some new Works units and rebuild carb. Should be ready to go from there.

MG
'77 KTM MC5
'82 KTM MCII

Big Mac

Nice MC5...from the west coast? Seems to be where all the red-tank KTM badged bikes came from.

Need the proper '77 Marzoke forks for it, to balance travel out right and not have to run the forks thru clamps so high with the '79+ long forks? Have a pair boxed up and ready to go if interested.  [email protected]

Jon McLean
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tooclose racing

What a great poster!  And while I don't really know the history behind the MC-5 development, I still consider this an amazing feat.  At a time when a lot of people thought "Oh boy, here come the Japanese..." with Yamaha's monoshock and Suzuki's RM - KTM's Moiseev and Kavinov (and Malherbe - now THERE is some trivia I didn't know about!) begged to differ.  

Now..is it my foggy memory, or can it be argued that - at that time - the big bore class (Open) may have been where a lot more Japanese factory "attention" (as well as some Euro factory attention..) was focused, ie Open Class was The One To Win?  Not trying to come up with a reason why "little guy" KTM could win this class.., but maybe their focus on the 250s (did they even run factory Open efforts then?) was one of the reasons why they had such great success.

BTW - nice bike.  Love the west coast "colors" - just need one of Rusky CCCP jerseys and a Red Star on your helmet and you got the look!  If you DO take up Big Mac's suggestion regarding proper 76-77 forks/clamps - I will make you an offer for your existing ('78 or later?) forks/clamps in just about a heartbeat.  ;)

Tom McPeek

Tooclose  I have a set of 1981 KTM Marzocchi forks w/ triples if you are interested      [email protected]    Tom

78 400 MC5, 77 250 MC5, 74 YZ360A & 250A  ,85 IT200,
74.5 Harescrambler 250MX, 74 YZ360A & 250A  ,85 IT200, RM100,250,400

glowride

If you will notice I have the original '77 Marz 35mm forks in the bake ground on the bench. Which will stay with me and the bike. I have just been experimenting with these ,78 38mm for ride and handling according to my style and weight(250). I also have the original triples for this bike and a set with the sweepback bar mount in 35mm. As you can see on the bench. Looking for a Bearing cover complete (cluth actuator). Just missed out on a nice one in ebay last night. If any of you guys have one in excellent condition, would appreciate a line. The one on the bike now is fuctional, just broke on top from a misguided chain. I think one of last two previous owners had trouble here. I,ve ridden the machine quite often without any problems. Just would like to have a complete piece since everything else here is in nice shape.

[email protected]

Mark Glowchevsky
'77 250 MC5
'82 250 MCII

glowride

Yes, This a West Coast bike. All the way from Alaska. Have original title with issue date of 9/78 to some guy stationed at Eielson Air Force Base. I assume some fly boy with a need for speed? Frame and engine #'s match title.
It was purchased from a dealer Called "THE TRICK SHOP" Fairbanks Alaska. According to the dealer decal on the tank.
    Tooclose, KTM did have a small effort in open class with Jaak Van Velthoven in mid to late '70's. Malherbe Also went to open in '78 on KTM and stayed there for a couple of years before going to Honda.
    Still looking for Bearing Cover. Anybody?

Big Mac

I tote 250# also and have had a hard time finding heavy enough springs for the Marzocchi shocks to work right on '77 MC5 400, and collapsed a set of spring keepers too. Have gone to heavy springs and keepers off of '79-'80 era Ohlins from KTM or Husky. The higher leverage setups used stiffer dual springs...the longer spring works well alone. Most tracks that don't have too many big jumps or flat landings work ok with the softer springs, but the heavier ones work great now.

Have also collapsed two foot pegs, makes for bad day of racing.

Bill Grubin is a good vintage guy, and grew up in AK riding in Fairbanks I think. He might know the story of The Trick shop -
http://www.grubinandcompany.com/page/page/3817399.htm
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

We have a couple of guys locally that grew up there, and one of them I have invited to check out this site, I will let him know I bet he knows about the Trick shop.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
74' TM125 suzuki
93' RMx 250 suzuki

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

This is what I heard,

Hi Thom,

The Trick Shop was owned by Gary Woody a local fireman by day and KTM dealer after work. I actually did some sideline
mechanic work for him at his 2nd location down towards the North Pole /Eilson AFB area. I believe the road his house/shop was on was called 9 mile Rd?? Before that Gary had a house on College Rd in Fairbanks. He first ran his business out of his garage then as business picked up he built a small shop behind his house. As it turned out someone in the building permit office screwed up and he built his shop too close to the right of way and had to tear it down. I think then is when he moved down the Richardson Hwy to the location I worked for him.  I think Gary probably sold 5-10 bikes a year and had one of the fastest riders in AK on his bike, Robby Butler who now lives in Bothell(wa.)and has raced several H&T events with us.

At the time I was working for the local Yamaha shop, Hillside Sales and Service and racing a YZ 125. My bike was down for maintenance and Gary let me race his 1980 or 81 KTM 495, He pulled me off of it before I killed myself, ruined his bike or both!

Hey Kevin, is Gary Woody still around Fairbanks?

Fritz

I hope this helps

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
74' TM125 suzuki
93' RMx 250 suzuki

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W