'76 250 Sprocket Removal

Started by Bryan, March 21, 2002, 02:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Anyone have any ideas on how to hold the sprocket while trying to get the nut off? I don't have the special holder tool that my book talks about. I have tried wraping the chain around it but that didn't work too good. Anyone Have any Ideas?

Bryan
Bryan

Steve Minor

I've jammed the sprocket to the cases with a shop rag and removed the sprocket nut with an electric impact wrench....Just be sure you're going in the proper direction....

Steve Minor

Paul Danik

One tool I NEVER leave home without is my chain visegrips. Just wrap the chain around the sproctet and then it hooks to the other jaw, then adjust the tension part on the visegrip and clamp that sucker tight.  The great thing is that the chain puts even tension on whatever you are holding and doesn't mark it up.  I have held ignition flywheels, gears,ect.
Paul

john durrill

Bryan,
We used a piece of steel stock 1/4 inch thick and18 inches long by two inches wide.
Drilled a hole on one end and used a master link from old piece of chain to hold 8 inches of chain to the bar. it works just as good as the old factory tool and lets you change gearing at the track or motel. If we used an Air gun it would be a problem to get it off in the field.
John

Bryan

Thanks for the replies I finally got it off. I wraped the chain around the sprocket and stuck a screw driver through the chan to hold it nad it came off.

Bryan
Bryan

mikey

I have two methods..1.put the chain on and put a long bolt down thru the links behind the sprocket..sort of makes a better way to hold it..also 2. a pair of those clamp style vice grips work real good..just clamp them down in the teeth where the chain goes..the pinch end is narrow enough to go right into between the teeth..works great!