Clutch problems

Started by chuck, January 17, 2011, 07:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck

The clutch on my 72 Penton 125 is difficult to pull. I have checked out the plates and visually they appear ok. I assume they should have a minimum thinkness? Does anyone have those dimensions? What other things should I look at?

Thanks,

Chuck

72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

Richard

If you looked at the clutch plates then you must have removed the clutch basket. On bikes with a lot of miles on them the clutch plates will make indentations in the clutch basket. You can file the indentations out or find another basket. Of course check the clutch cable, make sure that you don't have it zip tied the frame as that will sometimes make the lever hard to pull. Basic stuff like making sure the lever itself is not binding, it does help to use a little grease on the pivot bolt. There is a later model clutch side case available that uses bearing balls on the actuator instead of the ramps on the standard side case. The Sachs clutch shouldn't be hard to pull, unlike the bigger KTM clutches.

firstturn

Chuck,
  I am out of town right now so I so not have the dimensions, but so much of the hard pull problems I have run into on Sachs was related to one of the following:
1  Cable
2 Routing of cable.
3 Check the assembly in the clutch cover to be sure it isn't worn out.
4 Make sure someone hasn't added heavier springs.
5 Be sure someone hasn't pinched the perch where the clutch lever lives.

I am sure there are more, but I out of thoughts for now.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

chuck

Clutch cable is routed the same as my Berkie and it works smooth. I'll check out the basket and the other things suggested. Thanks for the advice.

Chuck

72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel