Thinking about a Modern...

Started by tooclose racing, February 06, 2011, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

I'm thinking about a "modern" purchase this Spring - and leaning towards a 250F for whatever reason..but it will have ELECTRIC start.  In my mind - it is like not even an option.  

Short list is the early Honda CRF250X - there seems to be few of them around on Craigslist for under $3k.  Great suspension reviews, new replacement batteries are 1/4 weight of original.  Figured I put in the Wiseco Big Bore kit that's out now and..ta-da - I'm ready for some Vet XC racing if I can last two hours, or just show up at local MX track (I've got like 3 of them within one hour of me, 2 of which use mostly or all natural terrain).

BTW - KTM's e-start two-strokes are also on my short list for the same reason. But I'm a cheap ##*& and not sure one of those is within reach.

Anybody want to talk me out of this crazy notion?

brian kirby

You wont find me trying to talk anyone out of a modern bike, I have one for play riding/practicing. I would not recommend a 250F though, they have a (relatively) short engine lifespan even at stock displacement and very few of them have been ridden mildly. 450s are more reliable because they make soooo much HP its hard to exceed their stress limits but for me personally they are just too much bike for anything but strictly MX.

I freely admit a bias towards two strokes so look at this recommendation in that light, but I would look for a KTM200, you dont need e-start on them and it far out performs any 250F in every measurable catagory. Dont overlook a KTM XC150 or Husky WR150 (just ask Dwight how much he likes his new WR150) if you are not too big for one. The 150s (or a YZ125 with a 144 kit) are fast, light, and surprisingly torquey and easy to ride. If e-start is a must-have, its hard to go wrong with an XC-W 250/300, they aint cheap, but they are worth every penny.

Brian
Brian

wfopete

X2.

Put the $ needed for the 250F mods towards the 2 stroke purchase.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

400gs6

As a fellow rider who's pushing hard on 50 yrs old, I decided to dive head first into riding last year before I was too old to do it.  Bought two new KTM's within 10 months.  In May, I got a 300XC-W and put 1200 miles on it.  Even though the 2 stroke really does not need e-start, I love it, especially when you stall it on a nasty off camber up hill. Just pull in the clutch and hit that button and gone! The 300 motor is incredible, you can ride it a gear high and lug or let 'er eat when you get in the open stuff.

During the Christmas holidays, I stopped by my KTM dealer to find the new 2011 250 XC-FW on display in the window.  What a sweet looking bike with the Six Days graphics and orange frame.  When I got home, the new issue of Dirt Bike was on the table with the Six Days on the cover!  Due to Dirt Bike's glowing report, I had to have one for myself and picked up the window bike the following weekend.  I've only got 5 miles on it but what a sweet ride, real predictable friendly power that wont kill you if you get to busy with the throttle.  I can't wait for spring to get familiar with this new 2504t!   If one is within reach, go for it my friend, this race we call life is one lap, no practice.  Enjoy!  -Kurt

Here's a pic of the new Six Days (2010 Mexico Edition).

Here's a shot of my 300XC-W with the 2009 Portugal graphics

KURT FLACHBART

G Ellis

Mr Close  I would buy a KTM 250XCF  2008. You can pick them up for about 3000.00. Put a auto clutch in it. You will never stall it. Motor will last a long time.  Later Gary

Dwight Rudder

LOVE MY NEW HUSKY !   WR150, Electric start ?  Who needs one ?  This thing starts so easy !  Great low end and good power.  Ultra lightweight.  Very stable and turns great.  Doesn't even need a steering damper.  Got my suspension balanced and love it.  Hall's Cycles in Springfield, Il. does a great job.  So does Keytime Motorsports in Wi.
Dwight  :D

400gs6

Quotequote:Originally posted by G Ellis

Mr Close  I would buy a KTM 250XCF  2008. You can pick them up for about 3000.00. Put a auto clutch in it. You will never stall it. Motor will last a long time.  Later Gary

Right On!  Here's a great deal on one in western Mass.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/2171997764.html
KURT FLACHBART

tofriedel

Just a side note on the 4 stroke bikes.  My son always has one or two of them in his shop for repairs, which hit your wallet pretty hard.  This includes all sizes 125 to 450's and makes ,Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, etc.  Most of these are used for MX and dirt track.  Granted, they require more maintenance than a 2 stroke, but the cost to maintain is high.

To do a head on these bikes is roughly an $800.00 bill.  He had one that when the head went, it took out the piston and pushed the rod through the cases. That's costly.

Tony
Tony

Kip Kern

Heck no, keep the economy moving!  I bought a new 2008 Husky TE 250 4 stroke and love it.  Have had no problems with the bike since delivery and the only reason I would sell it would be to buy a new 2011 Husky 310 4 stroke.  Valves were adjusted once and Halls remapped the EFI to GNCC specs.  What a blast, light and fast!!!!!!!!

Hank McCurdy

Hello all,

Like Too Close, I'm searching for the right modern mount for HS, enduros, trail riding and dual-sport. The crf250x is tempting because Hondas are generally very well made and this model seems good for eastern woods. But, Jap bikes are not that easy (or cheap) to make street legal, which is really important these days. I hear the KTM 400exc is a great east coast bike, with lots of smooth power, and not too tough to register, so that's at the top of my list. Any thoughts on the 400 exc?

Hank

Mark P

Quotequote:Originally posted by Hank McCurdy

Hello all,

Like Too Close, I'm searching for the right modern mount for HS, enduros, trail riding and dual-sport. The crf250x is tempting because Hondas are generally very well made and this model seems good for eastern woods. But, Jap bikes are not that easy (or cheap) to make street legal, which is really important these days. I hear the KTM 400exc is a great east coast bike, with lots of smooth power, and not too tough to register, so that's at the top of my list. Any thoughts on the 400 exc?

Hank

I think KTM has the 450 EXC and the 530 EXC which are both already street legal. I was looking at the 530 the other month at Munn's Racing - it is a very sweet ride. Mr. Penton has given us a wonderful legacy with these KTMs. Of course, I also want that Husky 310 that Kip mentioned. All these bikes would be great to own.

tooclose racing

Geez - guess I got the blood flowing with a few of you guys! :)

Thanks for ALL of the advice - and keep posting.  

Dwight/Brian - I spotted a 150 XC in the classifieds and won't deny that a great argument can be made for putting one these in the garage. I've always been a small-bore racer (my MC5 is the first dirt bike larger than 175cc that I've ever raced off-road).

400gs6 - Man, that is some toy factory you got going there, love the bike graphics.  Just can't explain why the FIRST thing I noticed in the background of was the giant Kahlua bottle.  My local KTM dealer has a shiny new leftover 2009 250 XCF (not W) with some snazzy Red Bull graphics and some of those anodized orange KTM bolt-on widgets, but he's still listing it for $6k and....I don't think that's what I want to spend.  

And appreciate the Craiglist look-up.  Pretty damn close to what the doctor ordered.  I'm breathing heavy as I type this.... [:p]

G Ellis

Mr Close  Yes 4 strokes can cost money to work on them. I have aways ridden 2 smokers. I was under the thought that 4 strokes cost alot to maintain. This all depends on how you keep maintance on it. Change oil,clean filter, you won't have any trouble. I have over 120 hrs on mine,no trouble. I would get a KTM if it was me. Later Gary

skiracer

I agree with Gary.  I just bought a 07 250 XCF, and in doing my research before hand, I spoke with a half dozen riders in the range of high "B" to "AA," riders, and they all said, that the bike will last as long as you take care of it; meaning, lots of oil and filter changes, and remember it is a 4 stroke, and not a 2 stroke, so keep the RPM's down.  Regular maintenance = longevity.  If you were ever in the service, (I wasn't but my brother was) they taught you the "5 P's"  Use them, and the bike will run a long time.

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Husqvarna 175GP
2002 KTM 200 EXC
2007 KTM 250 XCF
1979 KTM 250 GS (Project)
1981 KTM 250 (Project)
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

marsattacks

You will have some fun making the choice.  Here are  2 cents coming from a relatively inexperienced rider of 49 years of age --

1.  If there is any way you can get a ride on the bikes before you buy, that would be ideal.
2.  Modern bikes seem completely different in so many ways it is hard to compare to vintage -- but, based only on three 8-hour days in the desert in all kinds of off-road terrain and a little bit of road on an 09 Husky TE450 (street legal enduro), I would say this:
a. The modern bikes are super tall compared to vintage, and in the slow tight stuff it is not so easy to just dab a foot. So, you might consider a lower ride height if that is a concern. I am a hair short of 6' tall with 33" inch inseam and it was tough for me to just swing a leg over the bike.
b. The e-start is awesome in a pinch or in a long day.
c. The low-rev tractor power of a 450 is great--just pulls hard w/o any crazy launch-off like a two stroke spinning up into the band.
d.  No concerns with 60mph+ fire road runs where it would scare me of seizing a two stroke.
e.  The suspension is awesome.
f.  The brakes really grab and take a little time getting used to.
g. think the Huskys rival the KTMs for expense.
h.  The 450 had way more power than I could reliably handle but it came on pretty easily and except for one situation where momentum threw me back and had me goose the throttle, the 450 didn't dish out any nasty surprises that would definitely have been on tap if I'd done the same thing on, say, my 400 KTM.

Good luck!!
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike