Thinking about a Modern...

Started by tooclose racing, February 06, 2011, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by tooclose racing

Dwight/Brian - I spotted a 150 XC in the classifieds and won't deny that a great argument can be made for putting one these in the garage. I've always been a small-bore racer (my MC5 is the first dirt bike larger than 175cc that I've ever raced off-road).

If you like small bores, you absolutely can not go wrong with either a KTM or Husky 150. I rode a bunch of the '10 models at the Tennessee ISDT race and that XC150 may not have been the fastest bike of the bunch but there is no doubt at all that it was by far the most fun to ride which is what is most important to me these days.

Brian
Brian

tooclose racing

You know..I regret missing a Husky dealers demo ride that was held at Thunder Ridge up here in the Leatherstocking country just south of Unadilla. I really do need to swing my fairly short legs over a couple of these bikes in an off-road setting and see what the Real World "point and dab" is like in the tight stuff.

Thanks again for feedback, Poggers. No decisions yet, I'll keep window shopping for now.

Larry Perkins

When deciding between a KTM and a Husky don't forget there is a BIG difference in the dealer network, parts supply, and tech support between the two.  KTM really has their stuff together in all those areas and they just don't break.  Look at our team's record with the little KTM 150XC in the desert last year.  We raced that bike over 1400 miles of mostly wide open with NO failures and NO losses including Vegas to Reno where it ran ALL day and a bit into the night.  Both are good bikes but if you look at them both close you will see the details that KTM has worked out and Husky is still working on.  My biased 2 cents worth-The KTM 150XC is the most fun I ever had on a modern bike and I would not hesitate to go that route again.  I believe it might last forever in the woods.

On the modern 4 stroke.  It is true that if you do all the maintenance that you will avoid a lot of problems with them but I am telling you that they will ALL eventually have BIG dollar failure down the road.  Price at a shop what it costs to just do the valves and head which is a fairly minor failure from the valves wearing and they will even if you keep them adjusted right.  They are designed at the end of the envelope and when the end comes it is either EXPENSIVE or VERY EXPENSIVE($800-$3000).  It just depends on how catastrophic an incident.  I would not go that route if I had to buy a USED one.  You are begging trouble.  If it was a New one and I kept it maybe 2-3 years and did not race it hard then it would be fine.

I share this advice not from a hear-say point of view but from the saddle racing and parts ordering for others that learned it the hard way.

Larry P

Mark P

Dick Burleson sure raves about the KTM 150.( Of course, it would be the perfect compliment to my 300 and Larry has told me often what a fun and great bike it is to ride and race).

Bob, the only pure dirt bike I've ridden since selling my Penton and Husky back in 78 is my 2009 KTM 300. I was worried about the height of the bike at first(I'm only 5'8") but once I got riding again, it hasn't been an issue. I was amazed at the new bikes after 30 yrs. That KTM just floats over the rocks and roots where I ride and the power is easy for me to manage. I'm just a 50 year old trail rider and I enjoy that 300 2-stroke. My local KTM told me that he sells the smaller KTM 2-srokes as fast as he getS them. The big aspect of the 150 that appeals to me, particularly at age 50 and with  the work injuries, etc that I've had over the last couple of years is its light weight. The lighter bikes are safer as we get older, at least in my opinion.

Now, I just need some additional funds...

Tflores

I concure with Larry on the reliability and fun factor of the KTM 150XC.  I actually owned a Honda 250X and it simply was not ever enough motorycycle for me even with a few top end mods I did to it. I entually sold it and settled on a KTM 300XC and would highly recommend this commonly called "three stroke".  

I use the 300 to race/ride hard,technical stuff and also casual trail riding and it is by far to  me the most useable fun bike for any application.  I purchased it new in 2007 and it has many, many hard trouble free hours on it.  I thought of selling it for the newer version 300 with electric start and contemplated the new 4 stroke KTM 350XC soon to be released but still find myself leaning towards just keeping the 07 300XC because it fits me like a glove and has been that good of a bike. It easy and cheap to maintain, starts easy every time regardless of the pridicamant I get myself into on the technical stuff.  I equipped it with a Rekluse auto clutch and actually prefer that over electric start, that makes it so doesnt stall and can climb technical stuff way beyond my capabilities a gear higher (three stroke)!!

Tom Flores
72 Penton Berkshire
77 Penton GS6 250
07 KTM 300XC
Tom Flores
72 Penton Berkshire
77 Penton GS6 250
77 Penton MC5 250
12 KTM 300XCW
76 Honda XR75
73 Honda CB750K3

dennis foley

bob, your not going to see spring until mid july up there. have a little snow? your better off looking for a snowmobile or dog sled.enjoy.

brian kirby

I held back at first, but I agree 100 percent with what Larry said about 250Fs and I would NEVER EVER buy a used one. Working at a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership I regularly saw $2500-3000 repair bills for blown up 250Fs. No thanks.

Bob, Yamaha still makes both the 125 and 250 two stroke YZs, they are the only Japanese company that did not stop selling them.

Brian
Brian

garrettccovington

I was kinda shocked to find out what kind of maint routine the new 4 stroke bikes require.  My Brothers and friends that have newer 4-strokes, combine their top end work and get a discount for volume.  Its still retty expensive though.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

dennis brown

there are no bad bikes any more, husky,ktm have both come a longway. if you get a chance try the gas gas 200 a very good bike.ihave a 250 enduro

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Kip Kern

I have to agree with Dennis, they are all good if they suit your purpose.  I have done no maintenance to my "08" Husky 4 stroke except change oil 2x a year and had the valves set once in 3 years.  Runs like a top!  Hall's has everything for a Husky in stock if you need it.  I went the Husky route as they are still owned by Europeans (personal choice)

desmond197

Husky 125/150 Like Dwight says. I have an older 125WR and it is a great bike.

tofriedel

Here is more information regarding 4 stroke VS 2 stroke.  Intersting information on the topic and how politics determine the direction of motorcycles.

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/106

Tony
Tony

brian larson

Go 2 Stroke!  here's a thought, there's a 97 1/2 Jackpiner on EBAY starting at 3995.00  I have one and it's Awesome. I cant afford another due to 35 plus bikes[ yes I have a problem ], My 2011 xc 250 is my new favorite, mostly becuase it shares innovative features with the JP. The 97 Piner is now in my livingroom in AK, my lady doesn't mind, it's that cool! Also a POG member should own the one on ebay, it's complete with all the goodies. good luck in your search.  Brian

3] 73piners
76 mc5
77 AW250 Maico
2] Falta 250
77 YZ400
3] KDX 220
97.5 Jackpiner
5] KTMs
list goes on and on
06 xc450- for sale