Not a Penton but an oldie

Started by paul a. busick, February 20, 2011, 02:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul a. busick

Fellow POGGERS,
 I need a bit of help.  I recently picked up a sad 1982 or 83 125 or 175 Husky.  The seller said it was a 175-but the case #s indicated that is should be a 125. Question-are the cylinder and piston interchangeable?  Anyone out there with experence with this motorcycle that would care to share their knowledge with me?  It is pretty complete and would be a shame to part out, if it can be saved. I will soon know for sure what the size is, but as yet I have not had the time to remove the top end to check dimensions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.  
  Thanks,
Amherst Paul

SouthRider

Paul,

In that year Husky sold only a 125, but a 175 kit was available through Husky Parts. It consisted of a replacement piston, cylinder, pipe, and (I think) carb.

It turned an underpowered 125 into an excellent 175. They were fun and easy to ride, and had arguably the best dual shock suspension on any motorcycle ever built.

If the bike is blue or black with a silver frame it's an 82. The 83's were white, frame & all.

So yes - the jugs are interchangable.

Brian Kirby got one a couple months ago, and there is a long thread on here about it. Pistons are hard to come by, and he is having some made I believe.

I can build those motors in my sleep. Let me know what other info you need.

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

brian kirby

There is only one way to tell if you have a 175 cylinder from the outside. The 175 kit included about a 5-7mm base spacer plate which you can see from the outside. Pop off the cylinder head, which has no gasket, and if the bore is 55mm its a 125, if its 64.75mm its a 175.

Brian
Brian

Matthew McPhail

Check out CafeHusky.com

They have a vintage husky section and you will find an immense amount of knowledge there about Huskys as you do here with Pentons.

2008 Husqvarna TE450
1982 Husqvarna 250XC
1974-75 Penton Mint 400
2008 Husqvarna TE450
1982 Husqvarna 250XC
1974-75 Penton Mint 400

Jeff D

On the Kansas City Craigslist this morning is a 1982 WR125 w/PVL ignition which looks very stock and is advertised as such.  Also from the same seller a 1973 Husky 125.  Both located in Hutchinson, KS which is a long day round trip for me, but I'm sure if someone here really needs them we could work out some sort of enabling to the addiction!  Wish I had the spare cash hanging around to pick up the '82.  Always liked them, like Brian K, in spite of the shortcomings of the engine.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

paul a. busick

Jeff,
 Checked the KS Craigs list. The 175 Husky it shows, is not like mine.  Mine is all white with an aluminum tank and a yellow seat.  The frame etc. maybe 83, but I think the motor is a 82. I'll keep digging and see what I can find.
 Brian and Clark-I'll be back to you too.
 I'll check the cafehuky and see what I can learn at that site.
 Thanks to everyone so far for the help.
 Amherst Paul

SouthRider

Paul,

You can check engine numbers for the model year here: http://www.huskyclub.com/model.htm

HuskyClub.com has a wealth of knowledge, but don't order anything from him. Craig has gotten sidetracked the last few years and hasn't been filling orders timely...

Many of the older dealers have large NOS inventories and new repop items. Another great source of parts is //www.Husqvarna-Parts.com Phillip is a nice guy, and dependable.

I have parts & service manuals as pdf files if you need them - you can email me at [email protected]

Later,

Clark
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

rd400pi

Paul,
  The '83 was made from the factory as a 175.  The yellow seat came on the XC which should have a frame number that starts with "XO-00001" and higher.  The WR came with a black seat and frame number "WO-00001" and higher.  There was not a CR model that year for the 175.  (bigger displacement CRs had a blue seat).  The Husky Club site says the motor should be "2064-XXXX".  The 82 frames were CN, XN, WN regardless of displacement.  11000+ indicates 82 year vice 81 which were 1001 and higher.  Hope that helps.  Craig (Husky Club) has a disclaimer that some of the data may be incorrect but with my experience with the 82s it seems pretty straight.  Cheers.

Mike H.
Tulsa

PS. There was a guy in Columbus(?) trying to sell an 83 175XC for a long time.  Craigslist, etc...  Is that the one you picked up?

brian kirby

If it is that bike, it was an 83 125 with the 82 kit because it had the bare cylinder and the 82 kit pipe. A stock 83 175 should have had a black cylinder and a different pipe than that bike that was on Marks swapmeet. I almost bought that bike.

Brian
Brian

paul a. busick

Mike & Brain,
 The Husky was on Craig's list from Columbus, Ohio.  The frame#-XO 05183 The motor#2040 5021.  There is a plate between the cylinder and crankcase.  Would this be a kit? It Also has an internal rotor motoplat. Bike is all white with a yellow seat.  It will need work, but it is pretty near all  there.
 Once again thanks for all the info, keep it coming.
 Amherst paul

brian kirby

Paul,

That is an '82 125 bottom end at least. My '82 XC125 number is #2040-5200 so it is newer than that one, it cant be an '83 engine, but that does not really matter since the 125 bottom ends from '79-'83 were the same. It definitely has a 175 kit top end on it if you can see the base spacer plate. I could be wrong, but I dont believe the CRs came with internal rotor Motoplats until '82 so that could be an '82 CR125 bottom end, or an XC with an aftermarket internal rotor ignition since it came with a mini6 external just like the Pentons.

Brian
Brian