Anybody Restore Girlings?

Started by Keith Meatyard, February 21, 2011, 09:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

Is there anybody that can restore a pair of original Girling shocks off my 73 JP?  Painting the black parts is easy, but I can't fix the rusted chrome rods.  Any ideas?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Kip Kern

Bummer as they are welded together[V]

joe novak

Girling shocks were not the best shop available, and frequently upgaded with other brands.  My favorite was KONI.   You must favor the Girling shocks because it was the stock shock, and would like your Penton to appear original.   I appreciate the original appearing Pentons, too.

sixdazed

Keith,I recently got an old Dirt Bike magazine special"Wrench" edition from Rick"SuperHunky"Sieman.In it there's an article that shows a procedure to rebuild Girlings.I haven't read it yet but i imagine it involves cutting them apart.I can xerox and send you a copy if you supply an address.Later,
                                     Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Keith Meatyard

Quotequote:Originally posted by sixdazed

Keith,I recently got an old Dirt Bike magazine special"Wrench" edition from Rick"SuperHunky"Sieman.In it there's an article that shows a procedure to rebuild Girlings.I haven't read it yet but i imagine it involves cutting them apart.I can xerox and send you a copy if you supply an address.Later,
                                     Ric

ric emmal
Yea Ric, I'd like to see the article.  I know the shocks are not meant to be taken apart.  If you want to shoot me a direct email, send to: [email protected], and I will return with address.  I think the POG email system might still be down.

Thanks,

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

SouthRider

The Konis were excellent, and rebuildable.

My personal favorite Penton shocks were the Gas Cerianis, which didn't last much longer than a sneeze, and definitely weren't rebuildable.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

bbeck3100

The Dirt Bike article involved drilling a hole near the bottom of the shock, draining the oil, then welding a nut to the shock body and fitting a screw as a drain plug. The idea was that you could then extend the life of your Brit-bouncers by changing to oils of thicker and thicker viscosity....

Gary Roach

gooddirt

I might have a set with good chrome but no orol in em.

Keith Meatyard

Larry, I sent you an email.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard